Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM465 swap question

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Green71, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Green71

Green71 Registered Member

I was tinking about swapping in an SM465 into my dads 95 GMC YUKON 2 door. You cant beat that low first gear! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif i was wondering what this swap would involve, like could i use any SM465 or would i have to use a late model one with the electronic speed sensor thing? Also can i keep the transfer case and use an adapter, or would i have to run a 205 or 208 or something? Thanks for all the help guys! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

2. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

I assume it's an auto now.A 465 from 88 up CK will be the easist swap.If you can find donor truck get clutch setup,master cylinder,lines and pedal.Don't think auto t-case will swap,but it might.Late model 465 have 32 spline shafts.If you take all off donor it makes it easier to set it up in yours.You need drivers side front output also.Good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

You do need the SM465 from the newer truck. It has an aluminum top cover that moves the shifter further back so it will clear the dash. Most Yukons (unless diesel) use the 4L60E which has a 27-spline tranny and matched t-case.

Probably best to get the SM465 with a NP241, BW1370, BW4401, or BW4470 already attached. 88-91 would be the applicable years. NV4500 would be the same work, just a little more $$$. 91-98 would be the applicable years.

Get everything from the same truck if you can. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif