Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM465 swap question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Green71, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Green71

Green71 Registered Member

I was tinking about swapping in an SM465 into my dads 95 GMC YUKON 2 door. You cant beat that low first gear! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifi was wondering what this swap would involve, like could i use any SM465 or would i have to use a late model one with the electronic speed sensor thing? Also can i keep the transfer case and use an adapter, or would i have to run a 205 or 208 or something? Thanks for all the help guys! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If you start with a SM465 that originally had a 208 behind it it should bolt right up to the existing T-case (should be a 241 or close relative) That takes care of your t-case problem. All you would need is a 32 spline input gear for the T-case...

I'd shop for a Hydro clutch bell too. Then drivelines and pedal assemblies. you should be able to snag the pedal assembly off any 88 and up IFS Chev that was originally standard and prolly use the clutch master too.

Rene

3. silver 90

silver 90 Registered Member

If your Dad's Yukon is 4WD and it already has a 5speed in it, this will be a fairly easy swap. I did the same thing to my 90 Chevy fullsize. Just make sure you get the bellhousing with the tranny, like Rene suggested or you will have big problems. If you get a 465 out of an 88 and up truck, the transfer case and slave cylinder will bolt right up to it, and the spline count on the output shaft will be correct to mate with the transfer case.
    A 465 from an older truck would work but you would have to have an adapter for the output shaft on the tranny.
    I don't think you'll have any trouble with the speed sensor. I believe that is located on the transfer case.
    Be ready for the extra weight of that cast iron tranny! It is a chunk!!

4. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

gota keep in mind that the t-case is a left hand drop...so any chevy transfer case wont work...unless you converted it to solid front axle then it could be either way depending on what axle you put in

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Chazz, I think he wants to mate the sm465 to his existing T case which should be a 241 with a left hand drop, these came with a six bolt round pattern and you can bolt them on any six bolt round pattern if the spline count and shaft size fits.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif