Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sm465 swap... sumthin screwy??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Thumper, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

There I am. Putting in my std tranny/ transfer case. I am going to have to drill a couple of new holes for my crossmember, its not far off, but enough. No problem. As I am puttering around cleaning up for the night, I decide to 'test fit' the z linkage. I put the linkage onto the ball stud, and the end protrudes to nearly the outside of the frame. Is this right? The little bracket seems that I can make it fit like that, but it looks weird. Also, the one arm of the z link seems to have to go parellel to the frame... sheesh, I dont even understand what I am askin. Does anyone have a digicam that they can snap a couple pics of the linkage? Notable from the z link to the clutch fork, the little frame bracket, where the outer arm of the z link sits...?? Please?
    Thanks a lot... things just appear a little fukt up.
    Thanks
    Mike

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

You've got everything on the right track dude. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif My z-bar thing sits in the same place, and the bracket I made for it hangs off the edge of the frame probably 1/2". So does the one on a truck with the 465 from the factory...I went to a junk yard to look at one. The arm that is paralell to the frame is the way its supposed to be too...Mine is just the same. The rod that comes from the pedals lines up with the hole in the end of that bar just fine. Don't worry dude. You're doin the right thing. Just make sure when ya make that bracket and bolt or weld it in place, make sure ya have it square with the frame. And don't forget to pick up some return springs from Napa or somethin...Just get the generic ones and trim to fit. I forgot to get mine- Had to jam down to Napa like 10 minutes before they closed. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Cool, thanks much!

Mike

4. Larry

Larry 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

A windy corner of a dirty street: Pueblo West, CO
    Hey Thumper

I swapped in a 465/205 and ditched my TH350/203 setup a few years ago. A lot of work but well worth it. It was actually twice the work for me because I bought a complete running donor truck for $1500 to pirated all the 465 stuff from. Then I had to bolt all my automatic stuff into it to resell. On top of getting all the 465 goodies I even made a few hundred bucks when I resold the donor truck.

A word of advise, when you drill the holes in the top of the frame for the upper cross member bolts go buy yourself a 12” long 7/16 drill bit and drill the upper frames holes by using the lower holes as a pilot. That way the holes will be lines up perfectly. Also, a 2” hole saw works perfectly to put the hole in the floor for the clutch rod. (Unless you are going hydraulic). My truck already had a template on the floor where the clutch rod hole should have been.

If you still want a picture of the Z bar let me know and I can take one for you today.

5. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies to all my posts! It is actually done and working! I worked on it from 6pm timm 10pm Tuesday nite, then from 8am till 2pm and drove it home Wednesday. Not bad I guess. I did a oil top up after the run to work tonite, and still have to locate a front driveshaft for it, but other than that its done. I reused my old crossmember, its just relocated about 2.5" forward. I used my old rear shaft as well... although ideally it should be lengthened about 2" to be ultimate. I still have about 2" of spline contact with it. Now for the hard part... getting used to it. I have owned this truck for 12 yrs with an auto. For sure I am going to jump in and start it without the clutch... Hopefully nothing is parked too close to me!

Laters
    Mike