Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM465 to 4L80E swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudGorilla, Sep 4, 2002.

1. MudGorilla

MudGorilla Registered Member

I like the 465 but NEED overdrive and would rather have an automatic, so I am oppting for the 4L80 instead of the NV4500.
    I know the 465 is about 12" long while the 4L80 is about 24.5". I'm thinking I'll need to fabricate a new cross brace or just move the existing one back? Also I've got a NP205 on the back of the 465, would it need a new input shaft (its a 77')?

Anyone done this swap, or with a TH400?

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Yeah, you are going to need to move the x-member back a good bit...just drill new holes...I DO believe that the 4L80E came coupled to a 205 in certain years so you will need to get a hold of the propper input shaft (your 205 now probably has a 10-spline male input)...The th400-version 205 may have the correct input (32-spline female)...Then you will ned to get an adapter...AA can always hook you up for the right amopunt of $$$...Also, you will need the stand-alone TCM to control the tranny since the 4L80e is electronically controlled...I think JET has one available and probably others...Then you will need a new flexplate...that is about it...Once you have the parts, it should be a cake walk... Good Luck...

Chris

3. MudGorilla

I was going to use AA for the adapter ($675!!)...but don't know about the input shaft...gonna have to search around for that. Now my other option would be to get a Altus T-case...but thats just too much money.

The 4L80 is manul shift so no computer is needed. I'll still have to shift but without having to use a clutch /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I would say forget the Atlas II with a vehicle your size...I think the Atlas is a great case for vehicle's like Heeps and Gen I Furd Bronc...I don't think it has the ba!!s to live under your truck...

Chris

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

There is no such thing as a 4L80. It's a 4L80E and ALL are computer controlled. There is no such thing as a non-electronically controlled, heavy duty, overdrive automatic for a Chevy.

4L60 = light duty, hydraulically controlled (27 spline)
    4L60E = light duty, electronically controlled (27 spline and looks similar on the outside)
    4L80E = heavy duty, electronic (32 spline)

6. MudGorilla