Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sm465 to th400 what little things will i need? other Q's?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ncgamedog, Mar 19, 2007.

1. ncgamedog

ncgamedog 1/2 ton status

i am leaving the manual realm for the th400 (b/c of cost of doubler). i have a guy willing to trade even for my 10spln 465/205 for a rebuilt 400/203 combo and i traded a d60 rear for a 32 spline 205. i told him i would make a package deal and offered up my pedal assembly. so will an auto pedal assembly simply bolt up? i have an auto column lying around from an 80' but none of the linkages, wwyd? i thought about a lokar shifter. anyone done this? is there anything else i might need besides a flexplate and trans cooler to do the swap that i'm not thinking of? would the crossmember be in the same location? or even the same crossmember?mounts? HELP! i just want to have my ducks in a row b/c wheeling season is breathing down my neck and i dont want to be down all summer. thanks for any help- justin

2. mrdrinksalil

mrdrinksalil 1/2 ton status

Deff swap crossmembers with the guy you are tradin with. Worst case you'd have to just drill different holes then. As for the manual to auto swap, I'm currently building a truck that had a manual in it and I'm putting in a th400 also. I havn't completely made up my mind yet, but the Lokar is looking like the right choice. I was going to go B&M or Hurst with a cable set-up but I dont have a cage in the truck right now or a good place to put the shifter. I want it close to me so I can really bang the forward and revese in the mud. The Lokar looks like it might be hard to slam around. You also gotta remember a tranny cooler. If you have a cooler in your radiator all you need is lines. I tihnk around $50 from LMC Truck. You're also gonna need a flex plate for your engine, cause you'll be ditchin your flywheel. You might also need to have your driveshafts shortened/lengthened.

3. ncgamedog

ncgamedog 1/2 ton status

thanks for your input. i was aware of the flexplate and cooler, i plan to run some type of external cooler maybe somthing w/ an aux. fan. one thing i want to be sure of is keeping that thing cool. i have always been leary of autos b/c there is just so much that can go wrong. the last thing i want out in the middle of the woods is tranny probs. yeah i talked to lokar yesterday and as far as fitment i think it will work great. the nostalga 23" shifter is demensionaly very close to the stock 4spd shifter. it also has 360* rotational adjustment and you can lean it forward or backward. i dont know about slammin' it around though. i know lokar has been in the hot rod business for a long time and i would expect high quality out of their produts, so i would imagine it could handle the abuse. it may be a bit awkward being that long though huh? i'm like you i dont have a cage yet to mount the cable style to. i think it the lokar will look cool though, and besides, for me, i do mostly trails and crawling so i wont see a whole lot of 1st to reverse jerking. any more input on tranny swap things? thanks justin

4. mrdrinksalil

mrdrinksalil 1/2 ton status

glad I could help. Post picks of the4 Lokar when you get it,.