Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sm465 top cover issues

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NorCalKid, Sep 9, 2006.

1. NorCalKid

NorCalKid 1/2 ton status Premium Member

So I decided to fix my sm465's annoying limp shifter (first mistake... if it aint broke dont fix it). I pulled the top cover and tried to figure it out before looking for at least some directions on how to do it (second mistake). So I found a thred and now I know you didnt need to pull the cover off to look at the shifter. The problem is I cant get the cover back on and when it does go on it doesnt shift. I cant seem to line up the forks and the collers on the syncros and that damn reverse idler gear is always getting in the way. Does the trany have to be in a certain gear? or is there some secret? Also I looked at the shifter and the tack welds and roller pins still look good, or as good as the ever looked, is there somthing eles that could cause such a limp sloppy shifter? Any help or info would be great. -Thanks

Last edited: Sep 12, 2006
  2. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

yes it does need to be in reverse, its kind of tricky(frusrating!), make sure all of the forks are in the same place as the channels they go in, put the shifter in reverse and peek in and see if everything is lined up or if you will need to manually shift the internals to where you need it, you kind of have to hook the reverse one around the top gears and it should fall into place when you get everything lined up right, it helps to have another person help and have the tranny on a well lit workbench

i fixed the weld on my shifter and i can say it didnt help at all, all i can figure is the tranny is old and broken in and is never going to feel as crisp as a new vette shifter

3. NorCalKid

Thanks for the advise I will give it a try and see if I can figure it out. Unfortunatly the trany is still in the truck so it makes things a little cramped and awkward.

4. NorCalKid

well I finally got the cover back on. For future refrence if you put the shifter and the reverse idler gear about half way into gear it slides in nicely. Thanks again for the help.

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

You shouldn't delete a thread just because you've fixed a problem, brother. Re-title it and let it stand for others to learn from in the future.

I'm glad you solved your issue!!! :thumb:

6. NorCalKid

good call sir up it shall stay