Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM465 top cover removal, in truck?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mpascino, Mar 17, 2005.

1. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

Is it possible to remove the top cover from the trans while it is still in the truck. I have a 1991 burb, I know I have to cut a huge whole in the floor but it's better than pulling the trans again... The clearance looks tight between the dash and for some reason it appears the trans is further forward than the photos in the tech article. Anyone ever heard of a shift/top cover causing a bad rattle/noise? Thanks,
    Mike Pascino

2. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

you shouldnt have to cut a hole in the floor... that section unbolts on 4wd's and manual 2wds...unless you have an automatic 2wd hump (welded in)
    yeah i guess you can pull it out that way, just make absolutely sure its in neutral when you pull the shifter, and dont make it shift while pulling the cover of the tranny

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the tunnel is removable, but i think that the newer ones were glued in instead of bolted in.

4. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

no tunnel on the later models, just one large stamped floor. I will have to be cut. Any ideas if it will fit out the top?

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

To be honest, I don't think you can pull it up straight far enough. The way the dash, heater, etc. is right there, I don't think you'd be able to maneuver the whole plate enough to remove it. Nix that. Just went out to the truck and looked at mine. No carpet or anything, so it's pretty clear. It looks like it may actually fit. The heater stuff is going to be close, but the metal of the dash should be far enough away for it to be possible.

My '86 tunnel IS removable, but it is tacked in place, plus sealant, instead of bolts like older ones FWIW.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2005