Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sm465 tranny, hydraulic or manual clutch ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ambritmann, May 21, 2002.

1. ambritmann

ambritmann Registered Member

I have a 79' 465 tranny to go into my 82' K5 Diesel Blazer, is it possible to convert the clutch mechanism to the hydraulic set up, is it worth doing ?

2. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

yes it can be done, you can make/fab your own bracket for the slave clutch and same the mo/time looking for a bellhousing with it built on. if you buy the slave/master cyl + hose new, you're looking to spend around $250.
    is it worth it??? depends if you'll be flexing much. then so, mechanical linkage has been around for ages. if you run into a good deal, i'd say go for it.

ARQ.

3. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I've heard varrying opinions on this subject, but from the "big guys" around here, they say hydro is the ONLY way to go!

BTW:
    hose: $26
    master: <$80 (gmpartsdirect.com) DONT USE AFTERMARKET! The adjustable rod sucks! Makes for too many variables...
    slave: <$60 (any parts store)
    Bellhousing: Get to a local yard and start hunting... bet you can land one for less than $50 IF you can find it... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

GRAND TOTAL - $216 - and that is being generous! I would say that for that cost, the hydro is well worth the $$$ for its ease of use on the trail! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

But I'll let you know for sure once I get my shafts made up and get mine back on the trail... I just installed the hydro 465/205 combo last weekend! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

-Dan

4. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

DAMN!!! Where do you SHOP!

I WISH I could find a Hydro bell for $50.00!!!! The average PRICE I found for JUST the Hydro Bell was $150.00!

The MANUAL BH was $50-$75!

If you get the Hydro Pedals, the 2 braces on the Hydro pedals are offset just right to go through the firewall and double as the mounts for the Hydro Master cylinder.

I JUST INSTALLED this last weekend. I still have the auto, so it is not hooked up yet.
    Apparently, due to the angles involved the master actually sits a little lower than the pedal assemblies.

I JUST finished my link below!

5. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Check my link below.

Converting to Hydro, I suspect, will be the hardest part. I thought I would have to fab some brackets for the Master. However, as stated in the previous post, the Hydro Pedals have a built in brace, which support the Master cylinder!

I will get more pics of hte master on my firewall, and through the cab. I thought they were there. Ohwell hopefully tonight.

6. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

I'd say it is worth it. My Z-bar has taken to popping off the bellhousing ball lately and it is really aggravating!

7. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I am sure it's worth it... I just wonder where I can find the parts for less!

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the bell is less then that NEW from GM IIRC

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I pay $25/bellhousing at the local yard, but they apparently have stopped pulling them when they scrap vehicles. : ( Not to brag or anything, just that people need to shop around and compare. Granted, used hyde. bellhousings are hard to find.

10. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

OK, where is GMIIRC?
    Phone number?
    website?
    TIA
    TO

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

lol

"GMIIRC"= "GM If I Remember Correctly"