Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM465 Tranny info needed!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NOT4SHW, Nov 26, 2001.

1. NOT4SHW

NOT4SHW Guest

I need someone that is knowledgeable with the SM465 to help. I can get a 2wd SM465 and I need to know if I can use it in my '79 K5 and if so what will it take to make it work? Is there any difference in the 4wd model and 2wd? Does it take an adapter to mate it to an NP205 similar to my TH350 to NP205? I have the truck so pedals and such are not a problem, I just don't know much about the tranny. Is there away to check and make sure it works without actually making the swap?? If it takes and adapter does anyone have an adapter for sale? Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

'79 K5,13 1/2" lift, 39.5 TSL's,15x12 Eagles,350,t-350,warn 8274

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

The 2 and 4wd trannies are different on the output shafts. The 2wd version uses a fixed yoke and the 4wd version is a male 10 spline shaft, which uses a coupling sleeve to mate with the male 10 splines input shaft on the 250 t-case. And yes, you will need an adaptor to mate them all together.
    I have 2 adaptors, but they are still bolted to the t-cases, and do not want to separate. I know my bro-in-law has one that I gave him. Don't know if he is using it or not. Could check to see if he will sell it or not.

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>