Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM465 visual inspection... What do I look for?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TruckNutzDude, Jun 27, 2004.

1. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I just yanked the 465 and 205 out of my '79 K5. I seperated the t-case from the tranny already. I noticed there was some play on the input shaft (side to side) and the fins on the retaining clip on the output shaft looked like they were flared out. The transmission was rebuilt a few years ago and it still holds second gear (third if you want to be technical) and shifts perfectly. I just want to go through it while it's out of my truck so I don't have to yank the 600 pound thing back out in a month because it blew up. I have no way of posting pics but I'll do my best to clarify what it looks like if you don't understand what I'm asking. I know you guys know a lot more than I do, any help would be appreciated. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif -Rob-

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

look at the shift forks and see how much of the plastic is still on them
    pricey but that is the cause of the "kickout" stories as the result is failure to fully engage the gear
    inspect the mainshaft splines for excessive wear and decide if a full proper rebuild replacing ALL the bearings and possibly the mainshaft is what you want
    DEMAND the rebuilder hand you the old bearings and bushings that he replaced
    if you do not get the old bearings and bushings then he didnt replace them

3. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

It's already been rebuilt a few years ago. I just took the tranny out to install it in another rig I've been building. I just need to know if there's anything wrong with my input bearing because it has some slight side to side movement and I've already figured out the retaining clip on the output shaft. Thanks for the tips on getting it rebuilt though /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif