Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM465 w/pto

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by stock93, Mar 7, 2005.

1. stock93

stock93 Registered Member

I have an sm 465 in my 83k10 thats jumping out of gear in 3rd. A friend of mine has offered me a good one he has laying around for $200 that has a pto on it. Is this pto of any use? Can I use it to run a pto winch? If so where could I get a pto winch? If I remember correctly this sm465 is out of a two wheel drive. I think it has a 27 spline out put. Would I just have to swap output shafts to get the correct spline count?

John

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

No offense, but your friend isn't cutting you any sort of deal whatsoever IMO.

I wouldn't pay more than $100 for a 465 if I REALLY needed one. More like $50. And having to swap the output shaft? Not even worth bothering with, just find the right one in the first place.

PTO gearboxes or whatever are also not that expensive nor rare.

3. stock93

stock93 Registered Member

What exactly do I need to hook the pto up to my existing trans? Will I need to tear it apart to install a gear to drive the pto or does it take off of one of the gears already in the trans?

John

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

There are one or two cover plates on the lower sides of the tranny. Take those off and the PTO "gear" bolts in place.

The gear that drives the PTO is already there (you can shift gears to speed up or slow down or even reverse the winch direction) and the driven gear is part of the piece that bolts to the tranny.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

73-80 4WD 465's are 10 spline output

81-up are 32 spline.

2WD versions are all 35 spline outputs. To change that you need to re & re the entire mainshaft...

There were no 27 spline output 465's. They all have two PTO ports though, one on each side.

The pto itself may be worth some change though. I'd find out what brand and model it is and do some comparison shopping.

Rene

6. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

My friend Bobby has a 67' short bed with a SM465 w/ PTO. It drives his front winch. Very strong. PTO winches are around, but I have'nt found one yet myself. Not hard to put one together.

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

to disengage the PTO does the shaft need to be in or out ?

i have a PTO unit on my 71 dually 465 id sell to someone if they got me a take off cover off a 465 to put on it..

or trade it for something ?
    i need all kinds.,.,