Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sm465?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 86chevybanshee, Sep 23, 2004.

1. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

my 465 wont shift into gear, it moves around in neutral like it should but it wont go into Lo,1,2,3-r? what gives /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i have had this problem with two different trucks one was a mack semi and the pin the shifter rolls on was broke and the shifter felt like it was doing nothing
    the other was on a nv4500 the bolts that hold the shifter down came loose and the guy driveing went to put in gear went past the shfter rails and was stuck in front of them

3. dheavychevy38

also seen by buddys 86 furd do the same as the roll pin breaking he beats the daylights out of it though /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

wheres this "roll pin" located?

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Like they said,the roll pin might have sheared,or perhaps the shifter thing you rotate to pull it out came loose somehow and the shifter popped out of line with the forks,(you would probably lose gear oil out of the shifter hole if that happenned)or might be the forks themselves.
    I like the SM465 tranny,but it does have a few drawbacks I didnt care for when I had mine--one was the large jump from second(actually first gear,the one after granny low)to third gear---Waaaaaaa---bogggggggg--and many of them were popping out of third gear due to snap ring failure on the mainshaft,a ballbusting job to try and install one through the pto covers,usually ended in failure because you have to stretch the snapring way too far open to get it on the shaft,and it doesnt hold it good enough.I saw a thing in an old J C Whitney book that resembled a bearing splitter you use to pull ball bearings off,or a 2 peice shaft collar with allen head bolts to replace the snapring,but they vanished quickly for some reason and I havent seen them since.I'm suprised more people on here havent had their tranny's popping out of third--it was quite a common dilema in the 80's on the SM465,that and the output shaft splines wearing out on the older course spline models.I loved that granny low though! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

The roll pin is at the end of the shift lever where it enters the tranny,and it looks like a ball joint. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gifIf your lucky thats your problem. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. dheavychevy38

the pin should be on the shifter down at the bottom where it goes into the houseing and no the nv4500 had no signs of oil leakage when it messed up