Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sm465 ??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big_truxx, Jan 21, 2005.

1. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

You cannot just use a 2wd 465 instead of a 4wd 465 when bolting up to a transfer case can you? Basically they aren't exactly the same are they?

2. gmchevy

gmchevy Registered Member

no you can't the 2wd has a different tail shaft, which means that internally the mainshaft is different. the 2wd tail shaft is longer and depending on the year you might have a different spline count. the tcase adapter should mount up to the back of the 2wd if you want to swap out the main shaft but the 4wd versions are still easy to find and i suggest you go that route.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

case is same yes, but not output shafts

same deal with all tranny models between 4x2 and 4x4

4x4 shaft is stubby short becaus of no yoke

theres many different output shafts, especially for the 465 trans

think about it!
    its obvious as hell

4. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

well ya know... figured I would actually for sure and positively find out before going and running my mouth about some part store clerk w/o knowing 110% all the knowledge I do now. Thanks guys :grin:

5. RSNHELL

RSNHELL Registered Member

I Bought A 2wd 465 At Pnp For 5o Bucks ,and Brought It To A Tranny Guy That Knows 4x4s. He Changed Out The Main Shaft ,bearings And Synchros For 450.00. Worth It Knowing I Had A Good Rebuild. I Also Went A Step Further And Put In A Hydraulic Linkage Out Of An 85 Truck. I Just Got The Pedals , Master Cylinder, And Reservoir Bottle And Bought The Novak Conversion Slave Cylinder And Bracket, And Works Great. Don't Have To Worry About Binding Linkage Anymore ,and It Uses A Toyota Slave Cylinder That Is Way Beefier Than The Gm.

6. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Thats all well and good. But for me around here I can find a 465/205 combo for $200 sometimes. Already mounted to each other. I was mainly asking for information sake. ;)