Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Small 110vac Wire Welders

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by landsmasher, Jul 11, 2002.

1. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Need to repair cracks around the steering box on the frame and install fish plates. Will a Lincoln 100 do the job on a half ton K5 frame or should it be done with something bigger?

2. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I put my weld in frame repair kit with a Lincoln SP 100.It works great but,the key to its working great is power supply and technique.To supply power to it I have an extention cord I plug into my 220v dryer outlet and the end I plug the welder into comes out 110v.It makes for a strong 110v supply.This makes it much easier to get good welds on heavier stuff.

3. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Just fixed mine about 2-3 weeks ago, I have a Lincoln 100 also. It did just fine for me.

4. landsmasher

Thanks! We are practicing on the trailer first. Not the frame,,, the siding structure... 1 inch square 12 guage tubing... Should have it down perty quick now... What are those holes in the middle of the weld? LOL... just kidding... No Really! Too much heat? Not enough? Let's hear from the welding gurus here....

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I have an extention cord I plug into my 220v dryer outlet and the end I plug the welder into comes out 110v

[/ QUOTE ]
    Er, dude! Never heard that before. Can one purchase one of these cords at the local hardware store? I have access to 220 these days and not looking at selling my welder for a bigger unit.

6. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

What are those holes in the middle of the weld?

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are penetration inspection holes. Take a good look at them and if you're not 110% convinced it's solid, turn up the heat. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    -- Mike

7. landsmasher

There is splattering and holes in the middle of the bead.. Bead is one inch long.. Hard to see through the mask... How the heck do you guys do this? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Anyways we are working on it... I may just go ahead and let the REAL GUY welder do it and not have to worry about it later when I'm following the Big Dawgs around. But it was a thought...

Thanks
    Larry

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

if the dryer is 40 amp breaker that will give you a 20 amp circuit if you use the common and one of the hot leads.
    it sounds like a shortcut to avoid installing a 20 amp 110V breaker.
    you can use any 4 prong pigtail but only wire the ground, common, and one of the two hot leads into a common 110V plug.
    I am not an electrician but that seems to make sense to me.

9. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Built my whole Blazer with a 110 welder. No problems.

Ken H.

10. landsmasher

Welds are improving on the trailer. Glad I have something else to practice on first... Noticed that it works better if there is more wire hanging out the end than what the book says... Wonder who writes these manuals anyways... Damn thing is written in 3 languages... What country is this anyways? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

11. FRIZZLEFRY

I made the cord.I just got a dryer plug for one end and a 110v for the other end of the cord /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

12. FRIZZLEFRY

it sounds like a shortcut to avoid installing a 20 amp 110V breaker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never had problems popping the breaker.I wanted a good clean 110v circut that didnt have a bunch of other stuff drawing off of it.I can use the higer settings and get much better penetration using the 220v outlet vs just plugging into the 110v.