Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

small 6-lug 14-bolt

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by WARP1, Apr 8, 2000.

1. WARP1

WARP1 Registered Member

How much will one of these axles cost. Has anyone done this swap? I have a '73 Blazer with a stock 12 bolt. I need at least a limited slip differential and a set of gears. I am trying to decide if I should build the 12 bolt or swap in a 6-lug 14-bolt. I have 33" tires now but I plan move up to 35s. I won't go any larger than that.

2. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

The axle you are talking about would be the 14 bolt Semi Floater. THey usually go for around $150 or so. They can be swapped with ease. I have also noticed the 14 Bolt Full Floater goes for around the same price. With some shopping you should be able to get a 14 Bolt S/F with 4.10 gears. The Semi Floater is stronger than the 12 bolt, but share alot of the same features. C-Clip axles, Semi Float design, bulkier Mid section, etc. See ColoradoK5's Axle upgrade for some comparing information. Also see the axle ID guide. You can still use the 12 Bolt for more than adequate performance. I am sure some of the "Fellow K5ers" out there could agree with me, the 12 Bolt is a good axle for up-to 35" tires. Good Luck.

<font color=red>Mudzer</font color=red>
    1978/91 K5 Blazer

3. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
  4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The 6-lug semifloat 14 bolt will require the spring pads, and probably the shock mounts, to me moved as they were only found in the newer style trucks ('88-up pickups, '92-up Subs and Tahoes).
    In comparison to the 12-bolt, they are basically the same design with the 14 being bigger overall. Here are the specs:
    14 bolt semifloat - 33 spline axles, 9.5" ring gear
    12 bolt - 30 spline axles, 8 7/8" ring gear

I think the 12 bolt is adequate for most uses.

5. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

does anyone know how much a 12 bolt will normally run? I want one for the blazer i am going to get (hopefully. I cant wait to have my OWN blazer) the one i am trying to purchase is an 86. I dont need a 14 bolt, but i want to go bigger than the 10 bolt. I just was wondering what kinda numbers i was looking at to start. Thanx!!

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

6. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I will be selling my 12 bolt with a lock-rite and disk brakes, 3.08 gears for $400.

<font color=red>Mudzer</font color=red>
    1978/91 K5 Blazer