Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Small amount of smoke when start?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by EDGE, Sep 10, 2000.

1. EDGE

EDGE Registered Member

Does this mean that I need a valve job?Also,I have a small leak around both valve covers.Is this an easy fix?When I do fix those leaks is there anything that I should also do at that time.

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

First of all, when you bought your K5, you joined the "Puff 'O Blue" club. Your valve seals are allowing small ammounts of oil to drip through into the cylinders, and it gets burned off when you first start your vehicle. You can fix the problem by replacing the valve seals, but I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you start to have a problem with spark plug fouling.....

It also sounds like your valve cover gaskets need to be replaced. It's an easy, cheap fix.

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

A small amount of smoke? It's just getting broken in!

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I dont call my K5 old blue for no reason. It just the valve seals no big deal. Someday I will get around to putting in new ones.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You would think Chevy would have taken care of this problem decades ago! I had an 88 GMC shortbox (low-rider, please don't laugh) and with 35,000 miles on it it would puff a little blue on start up. It upset me so much to see a new (at the time) truck puffing blue on start-up that I paid $200.00 to have it fixed. Its just the valve seals, an embarassing problem but not critical by any means.

My 81 Jimmy does it now too ( not for very much longer though) [​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

6. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Look on the bright side as long as you see that lit'l blue puff....you know that the ole girl is working!!!!!

White Knight