Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Small between the rails gas tank.

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by BadDog, Apr 18, 2002.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Anyone got one of the small size between the rails gas tank they will sell cheap? What is it, like 28-32 gallons or so? What are the dimensions?

I'm thinking of using one of these and mounting it above the axle, offset above the frame to make sure the axle doesn't hit it. Or maybe building my own fuel cell type that would fit between the rails, running from well in front of the axle to a bit behind it (stopping short of my shock mounts).

This is the only remaining hurdle to moving my rear axle forward and switching to the Ford springs. I wasn't in any big hurry to get it done till I saw how my prototype was binding on Terminator. Now I want to get it done. Once I have a tank, it’s just a matter of figuring out exactly what wheel base I want…

What do you guys think?

BTW, Rob...
    If we are looking for parts but not interested in shipping (in other words, only interested in local stuff) is it ok to post here? By the same token, what about if we have something we want to sell that is not worth fooling with (or paying for)shipping on, can we post that here?

2. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

Hey Russ,
    Since your truck is only a trail rig, why not move the existing tank on top of the frame behind the cab untill you get something else. You could turn it sideways so it's tucked in tight behind the cab, where it would be safe from rocks. I think that the tank is shorter than the cab is wide isn't it. BTW I like the Idea of local ads here.

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I have a 31 gallon tank out of my Jimmy. I will sell you the tank, sending unit, and shield for 200 obo.

Dan

4. BadDog

I thought about that, from several different angles. It is much longer than it looks, about as wide as the cab when turned that way. It would also involve modifying the fuel lines again, just to modify them yet again when I get a tank into the right place. Also, I want to get the back seat added in (along with a pseudo-body/bed) immediately after the wheel base change so that the rest of my family and supplies can come along. One remaining point, I want it as far rearward as possible to get a little weight on the back axle.

So, it's an idea that I have considered. It just doesn't make sense with the other things considered.

5. BadDog

Well, I've got a new pump and my sending unit will work. I also don't need the shield since it will be mounted high. The junkyard where I got my last tank sells the tank with sending unit (of course, the pump is pot luck and that's what killed my first trip if you recall) for $60. Might even be able to do something like a Ford tank, longer and thinner. So, thanks anyway, but I’m on a tight budget due to low income (aren’t we all!) and I’ll have to pass. If someone needs an original, complete tank with all the triming, that would probably be just the stuff. I’m just looking for something that will work and that is also cheap…

Honestly, I’m sorta leaning toward building my own. That’s why I was asking about dimensions. If the stock tank can be made to fit, it would save some work. But, I think the stock tank is likely too tall for what I want anyway. If I build my own, I can build it with a removable top like Matt’s fuel cell, and have it fit right down between the rails over my diff and drive shaft. I can even add my own baffles or “tank-in-a-tank” to keep fuel at the pickup on extreme angles. Something along the lines of 1x.125 angle iron box frame with sheet metal sides. The pickup port and filler neck would come from my current tank.

6. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

I don't have an issue looking for parts locally on the forum, as long as it does not get into posting large list of sfuff for sale. If it's local, and someone is just looking for something special, I'm ok with it.

I don't want to start posting on huge lists of things for sale and or a for sale or parts wanted board.

Let's keep it local and specific and I ok with it.

Rob

7. BadDog

Cool, thanks...

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

between the rails? like a blazer tank? if so heres the measurements:
    25 gallon 28.75 x 28.125 x 10.75
    31 gallon 28.75 x 28.125 x 12.75

out of 1973 to 1991 blazers

9. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Russ,

I know a guy who's parting out a Sub... It's got a 40 gal tank and he'd take $20 for it...

I think that makin' your own fuel tank would be more trouble than it's worth. I thought about it before I bought the fuel cell for the buggy - and I just think that making sure it seals and vents proplerly would be a science project.

Let me know if you're interested in the tank.

Marv

10. BadDog

Thanks for the measurements, time to start measuring to see if any of them will fit! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

11. BadDog

I already looked at a 40 gallon (sounds like the one BluesMan has?). Unfortunately it's way to tall to go where I want it to. Capacity and rear weight would be great, but it would have to stick up over the rails too far.

12. NoRulz

NoRulz 1/2 ton status

Russ, don't forget too, my cell is a plastic tank, it's just encased in steel for more protection, so that top has nothing to do with sealing anything. It's also foam filled to cut down on fuel slosh. As I've said before, for the price, it was the best/easiest soulution for me.

13. BadDog

Ahhh, somehow I missed the "plastic with steel case detail". I thought it was a steel or aluminum cell with removable top. The removable top looked like a cool feature. Only problem with buying a cell is that it will be difficult (or impossible) to find one that give the capacity I want, but fits down in the frame rails, forward/above the rear axle, without sticking up too far to mount a rear floor and seat. I eventually plan to have a second seat for 2-3 more so my family can come along. After cutting down the frame/WB, and adding a back seat, the cell (and spare?) would basically eliminate any storage area remaining. Who knows, maybe I'll go with a cell anyway. Just exploring options...

14. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

Why do you want a big tank? 20 gallons would be more then enough to run most trails. I want to keep a big tank (31 gals) because I run multiple day trails and I drive to the trails. I want to move my tank or change tanks to get rid of the departure problem.

15. BadDog

That's definitely an option. However, like you, I would like the option of running multiple day trails without gas worries. If I can get the capacity, great. If not, I'll compromise.