Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Small Block 400 & Long Nose Starter?!?!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BorregoK5, Feb 18, 2002.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know any details of which applications you might find a long nose starter specific to the 400ci small block. The 400 flexplate mounts about 1/8" further away from the block than any other small block and perhaps only a few years worth. I'm trying to track this down... anyone?

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/borregok5> Pictures</a>

2. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

There should be no difference in the flywheel to block spacing relationships for any small block or big block engine with the possible exception being the new LS1 type engines. (never compared those) I have done many 383 &amp; 400 small block buildups &amp; they all work with the same starter using a 168 tooth flywheel. In fact the same starter that is in my truck now has been bolted to a 327, 350, 400 &amp; current 427 with absolutely no changes. The only difference in a 400sb is the counterweighted flywheel.
    Lonnie

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

That was my general experience as well but I've heard several people reference a long nose starter specific to the 400. I can't find any reference material on it though. Perhaps they are thinking of a pontiac starter. There is an angled starter for small block, prehaps this is the misconseption?

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/borregok5> Pictures</a>

4. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i have a 400 and its the same starter that fits a 350 of the same years. im not formiliar with long/nose stuff.

beligerence doesn't justify intelligence.
    <font color=blue>wheelers hate posers.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>79k15/400/700r4/205/38.5</font color=red>