Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Small Block 400

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bking, Jan 3, 2002.

1. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

I saw a really nice 85 K10 pickup last night, No price just a phone number stuck on the windshield. I called this morning and got speaking to the guys wife who told me that it had a small block 400 chevy motor in it, what are these like? Good bad ugly?

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

decent. accept almost all 350 performance mods. 2 bolts are rumored more desirable and stronger stock than factory 4 bolts. Torque motors that have questionalbe cooling characteristics, but in alaska i don't think that will be a problem!
    Over all i like mine[​IMG]

-zakk

'77 1-Ton K5

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

3. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

okie dokie, don't know much about them myself, but thanks for the input

4. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

AFAIK the 400 wasn't a factory option in the80s ( am i wrong people?), so if it is a 400 it was swapped in. if equiped with a good water pump and thermostat, and as long as the steam holes are in the heads cooling shouldn't be a problem, the 400 is the same external size as any other small block and as was stated will accept most mods no problem.

Leland aka RaisedK5

"Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most!"
    "Are the voices in my head bothering you?

5. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

I'm waiting on the guy calling me about it, the info he'd left his wife was, ahem, basic.
    I don't know a 400, what power is in it compared to a 350 etc? and will I get 2 miles to a gallon?

6. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

lol,,i have all the rotating parts,pistons,heads,intake,carb $600 headers and a MSD 7AL box and dist. to drop in it and make your truck do wheelies [​IMG] but you will need to part with about $4000[​IMG]and then have the block done to make it all fit right[​IMG]
    It sux to spend money on an awesome motor only to crack the block and not have enough cash left for a new block and machining, oh well,,some day it will all fit back into something.
    oh BTW,,i think they are a sweet motor, cooling prob's are not what everyone makes them out to be, take care of it and it should never let you down,as with any motor.

<font color=purple>ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]</font color=green>

7. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

i bought my blazer a little over 3 months ago and has been a daily driver, no probs with the 400, the temp gauge hasnt gone above the first mark, the oil gauge reads 35 at cold idle and around 15 at hot idle and around 30 under power, it does the puff of smoke on start up sometimes, overall i am pleased with the 400, power is there, get around 10mpg, but it does need a tune up- good luck

"growin old is not for sissies"
    77k5 400/350/np203/stock for now

8. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

The 400 small block is a great motor. Most of the misconseptions about the overheating problems revolve around people swapping the more common small block heads without steam holes and trying to push compression ratios with disregard to detonation. People assume that a 400 should be as resiliant to detonation damage as a 350, but its not due to the siamese bore. Lets face it, detonation is not good and many people downplay the severity of a little pinging now and again in their rpm band. If you have a good stock or properly built 400 then you have nothing to really worry about exept the extra torque wearing on your drivetrain. . I'm stroking a 400 to acheive at low rpm and low heat what a high rev'n high heat generating 350 would make, and for about half the cost of its lower dispacement brother using mostly cross swappable equipment (barring the rotating assembly). My 79 came with a stock 400 but I'm not sure about the 80's blazers. I'd research and check all the head and block numbers to verify the motor before you buy it. Go to <a target="_blank" href=http://www.mortec.com> Mortec </a> for reference numbers. Good luck with the truck.

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://24.55.50.76:81/k5/> Pictures</a>

9. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

right on borregoK5. i agree 100%..... my 77 have a 400sb, one bitchin motor.

mike

10. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

Guys thanx v much for all your info, your posts (and a mechanics opinion) tonight have encouraged me to pursue this truck further, thanx e body for all your nnfo

11. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Well said. I've had my 400 for almost 6 years now, never had a cooling problem. Gotta make sure your radiator is good (I have a 4 core), and water pump is good, and the antifreeze is kept fresh.

For power, they rock. Built right, they almost feel like a rat..........I said almost !

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

12. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

one quick way to see if it is a 400 is look at the side of the block, if it is a 400 it will have 3 freeze plugs on each side, (sometimes there is a "fake" freeze plug) if it is something else it will have 2 on each side.

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>BLAZER PICS</a>

13. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

Chevy quit putting 400sb in 1980 as the last year. The 3rd digit of the VIN# would be a "R" with a 400sb. 400s usually came with a little less HP from the factory than the same year strong 350s. You can make em have big HP if done properly.

Neil H. Alabama.. "It's a full size thang, Jeep owners don't understand!!" '78 K5 400ci 4x4 AT,AC,PW Cheyenne., '74 C10 4x2

14. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

Also if it has 3 freeze plugs on each side of the block and the serial # on the block is 3951511 it probably has 4 bolt mains caps. Most of the 1970-72 3951511 blocks did have 4 blt mains. These were the only 3 years of 4 bolt 400s. If you want to build a strong 400, usually the first thing to avoid is the light castings such as 882 casting heads to keep from the siamese cylinder heat problems.

Neil H. Alabama.. "It's a full size thang, Jeep owners don't understand!!" '78 K5 400ci 4x4 AT,AC,PW Cheyenne., '74 C10 4x2

15. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey chevyracing, not all small block 400's had 3 freeze plugs down the side, they were also made with only 2 like all other small blocks, my experience with these engines is that ALMOST all of the engines with 3 freeze plugs were 4 bolt blocks. I have seen 3 freeze plug engines that were 2 bolt though as well. Just want to set the record straight that 400's were not all just 3 freeze plugs.

16. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i got 1 freeze plug and a sh*t load of jb weld on one side, and two good freeze plugs on the other. ive overheated it for 8 hours str8 and it stil chuggy luggyed so i decided to keep it.

beligerence doesn't justify intelligence.
    <font color=blue>wheelers hate posers.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>79k15/400/700r4/205/38.5</font color=red>

17. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

If they don't have 3 freeze plugs then they had a marking where the third would be, hence the "fake" freeze plug. I am not disputing there may be some out there with two, but I have never seen one. Sometimes the middle freeze plug is just a casting mark in the block that emulates a reversed freeze plug.

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>BLAZER PICS</a>