Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Small Block Assembly Questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by merc359, Apr 23, 2005.

1. merc359

merc359 1/2 ton status

Hey,

I am putting together the bottom end of a small block chevy. I had the crank, rods, and pistons all professional assembled and installed but I am basically putting the rest of it together.

A couple of questions:

1. Oil Pump - How in God's name do I get the pickup into the oil pump? I am using a high volume pump and the pickup is not brazed to the main body of the pump. Is there a special tool to install it? Or must I hammer on it (gently) and hope that it doesn't damage the pickup tube?

2. Another Oil Pump Question - Is there no gasket between the oil pump and the actual piece it bolts to? Does the lack of gasket result in a loss of power?

3. Yet another Oil Pump Question - Can you tell I am paranoid about the oil pump? I got the steel shaft and sleeve for the high volume pump, but it appears to just "rest" in the slow of the oil pump. Now, i know that, technically, it is between the distributor the oil pump and it is not going anywhere, but stock ones use a round nylon clip to hold it in place. Do the steel shafts just "rest" there?

4. Oil Filter Screw-in Adapter - I am putting the adapter back on as the machine shop took it off. This is the piece that the oil filter actually screws onto. This may be a stupid question, but there are two ways it can bolt on. Is there a correct way? There actual piece has two bolts that go into the block, the threaded piece for the oil filter, and some small inlet? outlet? on it as well. What side does that go on? The crank side or the ...outside side of the motor....sorry that sounds crazy...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

There is a ool to kinda "press" the tube in te pump. kinda like a big wrench thats bent up

3. 79chevyk10

79chevyk10 1/2 ton status

Oil pump pick up tube is a press in. Try heating up the pump body and installing the pick up tube.
    No, there is no gasket between the main cap and the oil pump.
    The "adaptor" that you are talking about is the oil pump pressure relief valve, don't believe is matters what way it goes, but if it is any help I installed mine towards the block with no problems.

4. merc359

merc359 1/2 ton status

Thanks

Thanks for that. That pretty much answers all the questions.

The only thing I am still wondering about is the free-floating oil-pump drive shaft that does not clip it. Every time I rotate the engine upside down on the stand it falls out and sends me into a rage. Shouldn't there be a clip?

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Its held in by the plastic clip at the oil pump and the distributor holds the other end in place....there is NO clip at the top

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

that plastic bushing on the oil pump to the pump shaft should hold it but you may have to just drop it in after you are ready to button it up. THere is no need for a gasket on the main cap, whats it gonna do spring a leak an spray out of the motor? :D

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

No, it is the oil filter bypass. It is meant to let oil flow if the filter becomes clogged. Correct way? I can't say sorry. The Oil Pump pressure relief valve is part of the pump.

8. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

yep hammer in the oil pump pickup tube. set the pickup clearance to the bottom of the pan.
    then you can weld a small bead on the pickup tube and oil pump to ensure that it will not move ever.

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

10. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

If I am reading this correct, the steel sleeve that is pinned on the bottom of the shaft will keep the shaft on the pump...And the shaft will fall away from the pump when you flip the engine over without the distributor in. But won't fall out of the engine.

If you look at the bottom of the distributer, there is a pocket to align and hold the shaft to the distributor. I just did this this week, actually just broke the engine in tonight and it works great and pegs the oil preasure gauge.

11. short sub

short sub Registered Member

hey put the p/u ass. in the freezer for a while- it will shrink and tap right in for ya.

12. merc359

merc359 1/2 ton status

Closed

Thanks for all the help. All the questions I had are answered.

That freezer trick is ABSOLUTELY GOLDEN. After pounding the holy hell out of it I stuffed it in the deep freeze for an hour, walked out, slipped it in LOOSELY into the pump and when it expanded it lodged itself in there excellently. I have the Moroso pickup for my Moroso oil pan so it also has the two bracket arms that bold to the pump house. That bad boy isn't going anywhere now. Thanks for the tips.

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Oven works good for installing the timing chain gear on the crank too. :)

14. merc359

merc359 1/2 ton status

Another good idea

Coincidentally, the crank gear is the only thing holding up my project. I'll stuff that bad boy in the oven for a bit and see how things go.

I wonder if there is any risk of losing temper to the steel on the gears by doing that?

15. rpellicer

rpellicer Registered Member

Hehe... wives must be irritated :angry1: , bad enough we monopolize the garage, then they find parts in the kitchen appliances too!

16. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I suspect that low of a temp isn't going to hurt the temper of steel, if it even is tempered.

17. merc359

merc359 1/2 ton status

Hah hah

Yes, the wife is understanding. When I last put my headers with spray-on ceramic coating in the oven she was ....well....less than enthused......