Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Small Block Chevies... Vortec, LT1, LS1, LS6, etc...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 350350, Dec 18, 2003.

1. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

I have some random questions about the when and what of the changes to the small block as the Vortec, LT1, and LS designs rolled out... I'll toss them out randomly, although they are, of course, all cosmically intertwined. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

[​IMG] What year did the Vortec 305/350 debut?

[​IMG] What was different about the Vortec as opposed to the TBI block? I know about the EFI changes, but it seems like I recall the block and/or heads changed slightly. Water pump and front block face maybe???

[​IMG] When did the Vortec engines get replaced with the LS-Style blocks, like the 5.3L, 5.7L, and 6.0L Vortecs? What year in trucks, and did vans change the same year or did the older block live longer in the vans???

[​IMG] The LT1... A car thing I know... But when the LT1 came out it was significantly different than the old SBC. It had a completely different front block face, and the reverse flow cooling made significant changes to head and block passages. Did the Vortec engines use the LT1 block, or were they the old 'Tried and True' block style that older parts would interchange with???

[​IMG] Are the LS-style engines iron blocks in the trucks? What are their actual engine designations, like the LS1 and LS6 are different engine configurations for cars... What about the truck designations?

[​IMG] Do any of you have any of the above engines lying around that you would like to give me??? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

2. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

1. 96 in the c/k trucks
    2. dont know about the block but it has Vortec heads which flow great for a stocky
    3. 99 for trucks dont know about vans though
    4. not the lt-1 block
    5. I know the 6.0L is all aluminum dont know about 5.3 or 4.8

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

6.0 is cast iron block/aluminum head IIRC, 4.8/5.3 are all aluminum (I'm pretty sure)

The significant changes for the Vortec motors were the factory roller cams. Cars got them all the way back to '87, but they were not used in trucks across the board until 1996.

4. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have some random questions about the when and what of the changes to the small block as the Vortec, LT1, and LS designs rolled out... I'll toss them out randomly, although they are, of course, all cosmically intertwined. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

[​IMG] What year did the Vortec 305/350 debut?

'96 model year as stated above

[​IMG] What was different about the Vortec as opposed to the TBI block? I know about the EFI changes, but it seems like I recall the block and/or heads changed slightly. Water pump and front block face maybe???

Mostly the fuel injection system. The Vortec heads use a different intake mounting bolt pattern than any other small block head.

[​IMG] When did the Vortec engines get replaced with the LS-Style blocks, like the 5.3L, 5.7L, and 6.0L Vortecs? What year in trucks, and did vans change the same year or did the older block live longer in the vans???

Gen 3 engines appeared in trucks for the '99 model year (4.8, 5.3 and 6.0l displacements). Vans carried over the old small blocks for a while.

[​IMG] The LT1... A car thing I know... But when the LT1 came out it was significantly different than the old SBC. It had a completely different front block face, and the reverse flow cooling made significant changes to head and block passages. Did the Vortec engines use the LT1 block, or were they the old 'Tried and True' block style that older parts would interchange with???

Vortec truck small blocks used a normal old style SBC block casting. The LT1 block is not really much different either. The water pump was driven by the camshaft, but the pump mounting to the block is the same as other SBC engines.

[​IMG] Are the LS-style engines iron blocks in the trucks? What are their actual engine designations, like the LS1 and LS6 are different engine configurations for cars... What about the truck designations?

All the Gen 3 truck engines (4.8, 5.3 and 6.0) used cast iron blocks until the 5.3 engine that is installed in the new extended Trailblazer/Envoy. All 4.8s and 5.3s used aluminum heads from the start, but the early 6.0 engines used cast iron heads. I believe all the heads are aluminum now. All pickup truck engines still use cast iron blocks. Not sure on the engine RPO codes off hand, but you can get them at GM Powertrain web site.

[​IMG] Do any of you have any of the above engines lying around that you would like to give me??? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

5. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

I beg to differ my dad as a 6.0L and its all aluminum but its also out of the denali truck which is a different setup than normal 6 liters

6. 76SILVERADO

76SILVERADO Registered Member

The LT1 block uses 6 bolts to mount water pump! not 4 like old school blocks.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Isn't the LS6 a 454 big block ???

8. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

nah, the old school LS6 was the souped up 454 that came in chevelles back in the early 70's i believe...

The new LS6 is a slightly re-designed and more powerful LS1. They put the LS6 in the new Z06 corvettes.

9. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I beg to differ my dad as a 6.0L and its all aluminum but its also out of the denali truck which is a different setup than normal 6 liters

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's not all aluminum. Both the LQ4 and LQ9 6.0l engines have cast iron blocks and aluminum heads. There has never been a 6.0l Gen 3 engine with an aluminum block. Go to GM Powertrain web site , or look a little closer at your dad's truck.

10. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's not all aluminum. Both the LQ4 and LQ9 6.0l engines have cast iron blocks and aluminum heads. There has never been a 6.0l Gen 3 engine with an aluminum block. Go to GM Powertrain web site , or look a little closer at your dad's truck.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I believe you, just listened to what my dad said and like always WRONG AGAIN /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

4.8 and 5.3 are iron block (excpet for the 5.3 in the ssr)
    ls1/ls6 are 5.7 and all aluminum
    6.0 is iron block

12. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

LT1 uses the waterpump above the distributor and is cam driven..

LS6 is the new corvette z06 engine.. LS-6 was the 454 big block rated at 450 hp..

13. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

LS6 and LS1 are a head design. 6.0 i believe is an LS1 engine. it's listed on LS1tech.com

14. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

ls1 and ls6 use 2 diffrent blocks kind of
    all 97-99 ls1s used the ls1 blocks
    some 00-02 ls1s recived ls6 blocks
    all 00-02ls1s recived ls6 intakes
    All ls6s came in the z06 vette with ls6 heads (cathedreal shaped ports)
    the 6.0 as well as the 4.8 and 5.3 are all LSx based, parts are interchangable, heads intake cam ect.
    6.0 also came with ls6 style heads but bigger combustion chambers, and are the hot ticket for FI guys