Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Small Block to Big Block?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ak bandit, Mar 10, 2005.

1. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

I'm swapping out my small block 350 with a big block 396. What can I reuse from my 350 on the new engine? Pulleys? Water/Power steering pumps? Oil/Fuel pumps? Spark plugs? I've heard that the 396 is just a bored out 350 block. Is this true? Any help would be appreciated...

2. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

If want want some help I'll be back in Anchorage April 15th. :saweet:

3. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

lol

where to start...

first...the 396 is not a bored out small block

it is a big block, along with its brothers..396,402, 454, 502..and the bad ass 572

spark plugs are the same..different gap though

fuel pump..same

pullies different, brackets are also different, although you can reuse you power steering pump..juston the big block brackets

water pump..different and two versions, long and short, which one you have also dictates you alternator brackets

4. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

you can see the brackets in these pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

You can use your distributor as well :k5: :k5:

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Fuel pump different...ask my how i know this.....

The fuel pump IS diferent!--it looks the same,and will bolt on,but the rocker arm to the diaphram is different--I put a brand new 350 fuel pump I had sitting around on my 74 454 I had in my 74 K20 when the fuel pump croaked one day,I thought,"no big deal,I have a new one at the shop"--I assumed they were either the same or "close enough"--well, I put it on after fighting with the dam pushrod for an hour in the dark,got it started,and went to burger king to get some supper before it was too late--it died right at the drive thru window as I was waiting for my burger and fries!--and it would not start again--I pushed it out into the parking lot under a streetlamp,and I saw the fuel pump hanging by the metal line and rubber hoses 6 inches from the block--the 2 bolts and the flange were still bolted to the block!:eek: :yikes: --I had a gas can with some gas in it with me fortunately--I spliced a peice of emission hose off the charcoal canister to the carb, ran it to the gas can,and duct taped the gas can to my radio antenna,and drove it home on "gravity feed"....the darn hose was full of carbon or rotted rubber,I got home ok,(3 miles)but my fuel filter was almost plugged solid by the time I got there!

SO--dont use a small block pump on a big block!--it WILL crack in half!..:crazy: