Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Small Claims Court advice?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Blaze, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I am suing a guy that hit my truck and tow dolly for replacement of the dolly and repairs to the truck. He hit me, then told me he would pay to fix it. Now before you say "shoulda called the Police" I know I should have, I'm a ****ing idiot. OK? He was being cooperative till he found out the dolly was totalled and the truck needed $650 worth of repairs. He said he didn't have enough money. I filed a claim with his insurance company and they denied my claim because he changed his story. Dude stopped returning my phone calls, so I just filed a claim for $1500 in small claims court. I don't have any witnesses, but I have my wife's family there that heard him say it was his fault and he would pay for it. I also have the number of his body shop who he called to talk about paying to fix my stuff. Anybody else have any ideas?

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Tell the judge if he doesn't rule it in your favor, to kiss your big hairy a$$. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Well, when you make it on Judge Judy, tell me so I can watch her ream you a new one. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Ream me a new one? What did I do? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Wes, don't know how well that one will go over. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

You just made the mistake of trusting someone and trying to not cause them trouble by calling law.9 times out of 10 this will backfire on you.Been there,done that.Hope it works out OK for you. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I know, I guess that's what I get for being a nice guy. If he doesn't give me my money, I'm not going to be so nice to him anymore! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

7. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Try to not get yourself in trouble over it.These people usually won't hesitate to call the law on others or to lie about it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

You didn't necessarily do anything, but I'm sure Judge Judy will find something to tear you apart about. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

the one piece of advise that I have to offer is: DO NOT SPEAK OUT OF TURN!!! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif do not interrupt anyone while in court and no matter what kind of B.S. that guy trys to spew at the judge just remember what he said and keep your mouth shut untill it is your turn to speak /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. The judge tends to side with the more level headed one. I went to small claims a while back and won my case for $1100 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif (which I thought was a miracle because I was sueing a shop and I'm only 19 /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif) the shop owner kept interupting, shouting, and exagerating everything so the judge pretty much blew him off /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Be sure to bring photographs of your damaged goods and a written estimate of repairs would be a good idea as well. Just my $.02 /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif