Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Small electical fire in my K5 the other day

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5james, Mar 9, 2004.

1. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

Well as I went to take my 72 out for a spin the other day /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif to move the fluids around a bit, the engine backfired bigtime and then died, next thing you know smoke started coming out of the engine compartment /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif . I jumped out of the ride and there was a nice little flame on the firewall (ironic) /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif . I put it out and had to push that bad boy all by myself into the nearest parking lot. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif I wish I could shoot the PO or maybe myself for not double checking everything he did to this rig /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif . Now I know what my next project is. God I love this truck /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif . Sorry for the rant but thought you guys would get a kick out of my story.

2. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Your dopey wife wouldnt help ? /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

3. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Are you kidding me? You should have seen her face when it backfired. She was like this /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif . So I just had her steer while I pushed.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

About two years back I was getting my truck ready for a long trip, and had pulled out of our place here to go grab some last minute stuff from the store. I got less than 200 feet down the road when the inside of the truck damn near filled up with smoke. It was coming out from behind and under the dash though.../forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

I shut it down and as quick as I could I disconnected the battery...then while still on the side of the road removed the dash pad and cluster to see how bad it was. I spent almost an hour peeling apart melted wires so no bare spots were touching anything. After I was pretty sure it wouldn't melt down again I tenatively hooked the battery up and checked for any smoke...all was good and surprisingly it fired up and still ran.

I then spent the next 7 hours swapping in a completely new in cab harness...every single wire from the firewall to the dash bulbs (thank God I had a spare harness)

Turns out the fuse panel was damaged from a previous stereo install, so when my tail-light circuit developed a short the fuse wouldn't/couldn't blow. Took me over 4 hours to track that down (kept blowing fuses after the new wiring was in).

Scary stuff!! I'm glad to hear you got the fire put out quickly!

rene