Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

small engine question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Feb 16, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok i got a 5 hp engine on a minibike im selling..and its really cold out here..but i went to start it up a few days ago and it started right up no prob..and ran..couple days later tonight..i startred it..and it had a horrible knock in it..likd a banging..and there was a lot of white smoke coming form it..now i know cold weather can make engine run ruffer and stuff but this was a destinctive banginng..and finally it sounded liek something broke and then i quit..and will not start...i think it might be the connecting rod that snapped and the piston isnt going up and down..any one got any ideas? the guy is looking to look at it tonight..what great timing..

2. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Have you checked the compression yet? If you don't have a tester handy, if you stick your finger over the sparkplug hole and give it a yank, it should blow it out forcefully.

Also, does the oil still look clean?

3. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If it does have decent compression, and the oil looks normal, the next thing I would do is put the wire on the sparkplug and (while wearing gloves) hold it against the block and crank it. The spark should be fairly bright, unless it's a Briggs&Stratton because their coils don't hardly put anything out at cranking speed, in which case any spark at all is good.

The reason I would check that is because I have seen a 5hp where a rock got in the flywheel cover, banged around, and took out the coil.

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok ill try to check that...i need to take then engine of the bikre and bring it down stairs to work on..its so damn cold out here i could babrly handle driainng the gas from it..just to cold to do much of anything.maybe i will mess with it later this week though...

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

what i mean is it will turn over but keeps cranking..or spinning nothing happenes or nothing sparks you knwo what i mean? its liek the piston isont going up and down..i think its got something to do with the rod...one misnute it sparked and would start fine..the next..we heard the break sound..and now it wont start...turns over but wont start..

6. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

you could take out the spark plug and turn it over by hand with your finger in the plug hole.when the engine comes to tdc you should be able to feel the piston head if the rod is connected.if its broke then you have to tear down the engine and rebuild it and hope nuthing else internal got busted up by the broken rod.

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ill try that..y ea i know..if that happens either i will buy a short block or something with everything on it..or just get another engine for it...