Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

small engine ?????s

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by HELLBENT DESIGNS, May 19, 2005.

1. HELLBENT DESIGNS

HELLBENT DESIGNS 1/2 ton status

quick question guys, i am trying to get my lawn tractor started. 13 hp briggs and stratton single plug. uses unleaded, i went to start it after not running for at least a year or more. i pulled the sediment bowl and cleaned it before doing anything. i had drained the fuel when i stopped using it. it started up pretty quickly ran for a minute or so then stalled with a pop. since then no start :mad: i pulled the air cleaner off and when i crank it it just spits gas back out of carb. it has fire but you can crank till the battery is dead and no signs of starting!! any ideas? thanks

2. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

Sounds like there may be trash stuck in the needle valve where the floats are or the needle valve is damaged or the floats arents working. Sounds like your pumping too much gas in the carb.

Good luck

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

How old is it???

If it has points,its likely the condenser going south--or the points themselves could be dirty...it can still have visible spark at the plug when its out of the engine,but when its screwed back in,the compression will "blow out" a weak spark,and it will never start or run properly..tried a fresh plug??--starting fluid??..does it "bind up " while cranking,like a chevy motor will if the timing is too far advanced??--if so,the flywheel key is likely sheared--if its even a small amount out of time it will still have spark,but will pop and backfire and bind up instead of starting..

If it has electronic ignition,usually they either have good spark or none at all..I havent seen one yet with electronic ignition that didn't have spark yet,so I'm not too familiar with that system..other than a sheared key in the flywheel,I havent had to mess with the electronic ignitions...

They sell an electronic ignition "chip" to replace the points,(an aftermarket item,the Briggs and Stratton ones are kind of a pain to install and more costly)
    you used to see them in all the hardware stores and home centers,but I have a hard time finding them in retail stores here lately--only the lawnmower shops seem to have them--guess all the old dinosaurs with points are practically extinct now.. :frown1: --I usually put a "chip"on rather than new points and condenser,its cheaper,and you'll never have to pull the flywheel again to mess with the points..

Since it ran for a short time,then "popped" and stalled,and its spitting gas out of the carb,it MIGHT be a intake valve is stuck open(happens a lot)--or the keeper might have come off the valve stem,so the spring wont close the valve--some of the briggs motors had valve seats that would come "unpressed" in the block and get caught under the valve head--I got lots of free tractors when that happenned!--many of them I just tapped the valve seat back in after cleaning it and the block good with a wire wheel and carb cleaner,and J-B Weld-ed it back in,and they ran good again for a long time..hope you figure it out,and its nothing too serious.. :crazy:

4. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Motors need 3 things to run 1 Fuel 2 Air 3 Spark. I would start in that order. You drained the fuel and got float bowl cleaned but you did not take the jets out of the carb. I would be willing to bet your paycheck that the jets are clogged. Take them out and use piano wire or some type of small wire to clean them out. Be sure you don't use wire that is bigger than the jet and not to ream it out. Also carb cleaner and compressed air are your best friends while cleaning out jets. I also agree about the needle and seat. Post up and let us know if that worked for ya.

5. HELLBENT DESIGNS

thanks for the quick replys :D i haven't touched the carb. i did wonder if maybe old fuel might be the culprit. i guess i get to tear into it. i am a little leary to do so but can't be any worse than a V8 :dunno:

6. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You're starting on the right track, but I need some more info than what you have given. From what you're saying about it spitting back through the carb, it sounds like this in an OHV (overhead valve) engine. You apparently have fire as well as fuel. Now there's two things that could be wrong. It could have a stuck needle valve in the carb, or the valves could need adjusting. If you can type for me the first six digits of the model number, I will be able to tell you the valve clearances for your engine.

If it is not an OHV engine, then you will probably end up lapping the valves, unless you find it is fuel related.

Write me back and let me know.

7. HELLBENT DESIGNS

thanks i will see if i can get that info tomorrow. it's a toro brand mower with low hours for the age. hopefully nothing drastic!