Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SMALL engine to 465 questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Nov 6, 2003.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What is the SMALLEST GM engine I can mate up to a 465?

My little Suzuki doesn't even have enough power to get out of it's own way, so I'm wanting to solve that little problem.

I know a 4.3 would work since it's 350 minus two cylinders, but I was hoping there was something smaller than that that would work.

What I'm shooting for is something that can handle some higher RPM's (roughly 5-7K without blowing apart).

Or unless there was a GM 4 or 5 speed offered in the S-series trucks that had a good and low first gear, that would be great also.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if u want small, just put a toy engine in front of ur 465...

like this

j

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

all chevy belhousings are the same so you can bolt it up to a chevy 4cylinder if you want to /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

the 2.8 had a different bellhousing. but you're right the little 2.5 4 cyl. does share the same pattern.

the swap for the sammies is the 1.6L 16 valve sidekick motor. my buddy just finished this swap in his. he also has 4 to 1 in the case.

5. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

go pull the 140 hp. mercruiser 4-cyl out of a boat. commonly found in mid 70's to mid 80's 15-18' runabouts. it is a chevy motor, but you get all the heavy duty marine accesories, including the carb. plus its a big 4, with both low end torque to get the boat moving, and high end to keep it going. you could get them for real cheap if you know where to look.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ive got a history page saved from the internet all about the 4 cyl iron duke 2.5L GM engines, 80-up were normal 'modern' crossflow 2.5L
    AMC and Jeep and GM used these engines, 79 and older were some wierd intake setup, the original iron dukes, 82-86 firebirds got some of the iron dukes, mostly with 4 speed iron side loader tranny, i helped put a 400 sbc into oneof these birds a couple years ago, makes for a fast cheap car

7. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

is the 2.5 fuel injected?

that's my biggest concern is getting rid of the carb.

i would love to put a 1.6 in it, but no one local has one for the price i'm willing to pay, plus i have to get a $250 adapter kit for it, plus wiring harness mods ($400), and whatever else it may need.

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

my dads 87 s-10 has the fuel injected 2.5L. you wanna buy it? LOL

yeah my buddy has ALOT into his 1.6L swap

9. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

The older GM 4cyl. had a 90* bell housing pattern but I think the later models ( the Pontiac Iron Duke ) had a 60* pattern - this may only be true in a front wheel drive application . I am not really sure on this , I just wanted to point out that it may be possible that there could be bell housing differences in the GM 2.5's .
    I would PM U2SLOW to know for sure .
    Good luck , Tom