Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Small Obscure D60 Parts

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Resurrection_Joe, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I've been asking around a bit, and I have a problem finding a few parts

I have 30 Spline D60 stock drive flanges, and the caps that cover the end of the axle, but no snap ring or spacer/spring. I found out that a D44 spring for stock slugs will work for the spacer

So I need the snap rings and spacer/spring

Can you help me out?

I dont want to buy $180 in hubs and have to sell them later if/when I go 35 spline

Oh BTW

Are drive flanges in the front with a track lok goign to be a total whore on the street, I'm not driving this thing around evryday, but I'd like to have the option

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

We haven't taken any full time D60's apart so we don't have any of the drive gear parts. Everything we've done with drive gears was either with the Warn kits or stuff we (Beck) built ourselves. His D60 was a dodge and he built the external spline drive gears himself. It was one of his favorite projects. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I can tell you the snapring is probably something you can get from a stock hub set or probably even from a hardware store. The rest, I'm not sure of.

3. Stephen

We haven't taken any full time D60's apart so we don't have any of the drive gear parts. Everything we've done with drive gears was either with the Warn kits or stuff we (Beck) built ourselves. His D60 was a dodge and he built the external spline drive gears himself. It was one of his favorite projects. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I can tell you the snapring is probably something you can get from a stock hub set or probably even from a hardware store. The rest, I'm not sure of. I'm a little curious about why you would even need the spring, our warn kits work OK with just letting the gear float on the shaft a little bit.

4. Resurrection_Joe

I dont know why i need the spring, its just what the guys on CK5 said. If you say it floats fine, it will.

I found I can get the snapring on a warn hub repair kit.

Thanks for your time

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Hmmm, if you leave it floating, the rear spindle seal will not stay seated. The spring keeps the stub tight (more or less) in the spindle. I was just addressing this in my 35 spline stubs last night...

6. Resurrection_Joe

Jeeeeeze....

If I send someone about $25 bucks, will they buy me the proper d44 slug springs and D60 snap rings and send them to me, they can keep the rest. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Actually, I used a trick that Brook (builder of "The Freak") posted on PBB. I used a stack of Nitrile o-rings between the slug and the stub snap ring to take up the slack. A spring would probably be better, but good luck finding one. With D70 stubs in a D60 spindle, it would have to be "found" anyway in my case. You might get the dimensions and try online spring sources for a match. It would not have to be perfect, just as long as it held the stub fully seated in the spindle without putting undue tension on it...

8. i_4x4

i_4x4 1/2 ton status

Sent ya a P.M.

9. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

When I had the OEM drive gears broached out to 35sp, I felt the need to keep the gears from floating around. I found that the D44 drive gear springs would do the job. With a Detroit in the front, the gears must be removed before hitting the pavement for the trip home. The springs also made the removal of the gears very easy....they fly out at ya!

The external snaprings are a home depot item.

10. Stephen

I use a solid tubing sleeve to set the endplay, there's a good bit of float in the seals on the stubshaft so I just split the difference and called it good. So technically, even though mine does float, it floats in just the right spot.