Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

small sandblaster

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bking, Nov 29, 2001.

1. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

Anyone know where I can get a small sand blaster, not the size for hobbies like glass engraving, but a decent one for a bit of bodywork?

2. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

3. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

Harbor Freight usually offers sandblasting kits. the siphon feed kits are cheaper, the pressure feed types are a little more money but they work a lot better. www.harborfreight.com

'95 Chevy Silverado 1500
    5.7 V8-NV4500- 3.73 rears
    <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by 95 Silverado on 11/29/01 10:06 AM.</FONT></P>

4. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

Cool, thanks a lot.

5. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

if you have a decent size compressor jc whitney sells one for like 20$ that i picked up at a local store and its working ok for me i picked one up at a local store called northern looks like the same kit it ran me 20$ sand was 6$ for 100lbs

6. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

And what do you recommend as a decent size compressor? I'm fitting out my garage this winter and a compressor is first on my 'buy' list, what do you recommend? For inflating tires and spray painting, along with being able to sand blast.

7. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

you probably gonna wanna go with a 25 gallon or bigger tank with a minimum flow of around 5 scfm on up to do sand blasting and painting and dont scrimp on the hose i was running the el cheapo model for a while and ontice a major improvement when i bought a good high flow hose. that much of a compressor should get you through most things painting im not 100% sure about cuz ive never done it but ive heard you want a pretty beefy compressor for that. im doing sand blasting now my compressor is older than i am but is rated at 100 psi 23 gallon tank and flows 4.5 scfm its keeping up with the sand blasting but it runs contiuosly and i have to take breaks or i run it dry but under heavy use any portable compressor will it just takes longer unless you get one of those huge deals you find in repair shops

8. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

If you are going to sand blast and do body work you need at least a 60 gallon tank with a two stage compressor to do it right. Ingersoll-Rand is the compressor to get for longevity. A single stage would work but it will be at it's duty cycle most of the time, especially with a DA sander or a sand blaster.

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>See my pics here</a>

9. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I have the siphon kit from Harbor Freight, make sure you use the right type of sand as it tends to clog quite a bit even with a moisture catch at both ends of your air hose!

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://www.echobit.com:81/k5/> Pictures</a>