Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Small tractor?????

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tiger9297, Jul 26, 2005.

1. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I'm looking for a small tractor. My dad has a J.D. 2040 and it is perfect, but they have changed series many times since it was new and I'm not sure I want to spend what a J.D. will cost. I have about 4 acres to mow and my wife loves mowing the yard (yes, I do realize how lucky I am which is why I want to ensure that she continues to love it) so I need a tractor that's easy to use. Must have power steering and preferably a hydrostat. I was thinking of something with 30+/- h.p. diesel. I want something bigger than a big lawn tractor so I can do other things with it. I wanted to stick w/ J.D., Massey, Ford, New Holland, Case. Not anything like Mitsubishi, Mahendra or anything like that. I would like to be able to find parts if I need them. Suggestions???

2. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

We have a New Holland with a Woods deck here. We've owned it the last 6 or 7 years and haven't had ANY trouble out of it or the deck.

I would also suggest Kubota. They may be foreign, but you can't kill the damn things and they will probably be around forever.

3. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

i ould suggest an older 8/2/9n ford but they are not autos lol and whats power steering again :doah: but those are the tractors to have.

4. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I would sugest an older tractor rather then newer, cheaper pretty much everything. A IH 350, H, M. Every now and again you can find one with power steering retrofitted on too.

5. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

What model is your New Holland?? Horsepower?

6. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It's a TC33D. It's rated at 33HP. Ours is the hydrostatic 3 speed four wheel drive model with the industrial Titan tires. We wanted turf tires, but after thinking about it, the four wheel drive would be useless with turf tires, so we got the Titans instead.

We also have a front end loader on it. It works great for moving trucks around the yard. It's a strong little tractor, but if it had been me I would have opted for something a little larger with a manual tranny. The hydro drive just kills all the power.

Visibility is great with the sloped hood, and the headlights provide excellent vision.

Ours also came equipped with cruise control. It's nice when you're mowing a large area. The hydro pedal becomes a little heavy. It also has the "Supersteer" front axle, which is just a hydro steer for tractors. It steers very sharp compared to our old Case.

Attaching the deck is a breeze. The lower 3-point hitch arms extend about 5 inches. I can attach ours in about a minute now since I don't have to back up just perfect to put it on.

It has been a great tractor and has impressed me very much. It has done tasks it shouldn't have, such as pick up the front end of a 73 K20 4x4. I don't recommend it though, as without a deck it will lift the rear tires off the ground.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

One for sale nearby...

Right down my street I noticed a Kubota tractor with a bucket loader,mower deck,on a trailer for sale..I didn't stop to look,because I have no cash to buy something like that,as much as I'd love to have it!--I imagine its at least 10 grand for it with the trailer,maybe more! :eek1: --they dont give any tractors away around here..!--or bobcat loaders either--even a "beat" one sells for 5 grand at the least!...

When I built my quonset hut garage 13 years ago,I bought a 1958 Ford model 600 farm tractor with a bucket loader(a skinny manure bucket that was converted from "trip" dump to hydraulic)--it had no down pressure or power steering--it got the landscaping job done,but it was not much fun to try to steer with a full bucket of dirt!--I had to replace the rear rims and tires(calcium ate the rims!)and I did not bother to have the tires "loaded"--that was a mistake!-- :doah:

Despite having 1/2 a 55 gallon drum full of concrete on the 3 point hitch for a counterweight,I nearly flipped it over lifting a motor and tranny into my truck bed--also when I removed the counerweight from the bed of my truck!(that was the scariest one!--I had it dancing on one rear wheel! :eek1: )..I sold it for 2500 bucks,after paying 1800 for it and having to spend 500 on tires and rims..I miss it sometimes,but if it had power steering and a "real" bucket with down pressure,I'd have NEVER sold it!--but I would defintely "load" the tires if I had!.. :crazy:

8. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

Trouble is...

You're right about the Kubota.
    Not so sure about your claims on the New Holland tho.
    I liked your post on the Space shuttle launch thread and i checked the NASA link u gave. very good. Then i checked the link to your photo album Big Orange and saw the tractor you refer to as "3-speed, 4 wheel drive". It looks more like 4 speed, 3 wheel drive since the front wheel fell off!!!!!!!!!! :haha:
    Shows good ground clearance of the Woods rear mounted mowerwhen the front axle is at groung level. :doah: :rotfl: