Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Small Utility Trailer

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by dhcomp, Mar 5, 2005.

1. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Hey guys. I have a home repair/maintenance business, and my blazer isn't cutting it anymore for hauling tools and materails. I'd love to get a small trailer, like one made from a pickup bed.
    Whats the deal with licensing and insuring these? I know it would probably be a canidate for a PTI plate, what does that cost yearly? Do you have to insure small trailers like this by law, or is it covered under your auto insurance somehow?

If i get the details worked out, i'll probably buy an old truck and find someone to help me make a trailer if i can't find one. It would be sweet to make one out of a 3/4 ton chevy 8' bed or something.

Thanks guys!

2. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

If your using it for business you'll need to register it commercal whick means reg. yearly and needs to cover it self with it's own insurance.... but go to the MVD and check with them to make sure.....

here's mine with 31" tires tomarrow I'll try to take some with the 35's on it

3. dhcomp

How does it work if i'm not using it for business?

4. dhcomp

Ok, TTT
    Whats the deal with PTI registartion and insurance if this small trailer was just for personal use? It would be towed on the freeway quite often, if that makes any difference

5. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Your personal use trailer will be covered by your auto insurnace but make sure they know you have it/tow it. Reg is low - I think our small motorcycle trailer is about $25/year. Based on value....?

Don't know about commercial but you might want to check that out for tax purposes (write off purchase, mileage related maint, etc....).

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]

I have this little utility trailer for sale and it sounds like it fits your description very well. We've had about 1,500 lbs in it and it held it fine. It's got good tires, correct wiring and good lights, good jack and hitch assembly. I've pulled this little critter all over the state behind my K5 and it worked great with providing a "bed" to our "bedless" K5's. :) It's registered until the end of this year IIRC.

It's yours for $500 and I only live a little ways down highway 99 from you.

7. dhcomp

Thanks for the offer, but i'm going to pass right now. I don't think i can do anything about this trailer idea until at least summer time, when im working more. But if its still around then, i may be interested!

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

OK, if you change your mind this summer I'll be around here at CK5. ;)