Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Smaller gas tank for better clearance?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sandman, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I currently have the 31 gal fuel tank w/factory skid plate on my '82. Does anybody know if the 24 gallon tank has more clearance (does not hang down as much), and if it came with a skid plate? Thanks.

2. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

skid plate is in the same place i believe, besides a smaller tank would mean you could only do shorter runs.

3. Sandman

I've got Jerry cans to address the gas issue. I am mostly looking for a cheap way to gain some gas tank clearance. I've beaten mine to death.

4. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

Matt:

I installed the smaller gas tank on my blazer. I ordered the smaller tank cause I didn't know what size I had (Same price as the larger one). After receiving it, I had to order a new sending unit and straps. No problem since the old sending unit and straps were TOAST anyway.

To answer your question, it will give you a few inches in the area of the gas tank if you don't put the skid plate back on. It sounds like yours is already gone. I put mine back on and have the same clearance, but just a gap between the skid plate and the tank. I am still working on the truck so haven't taken any long trips, so I hope I don't regret the smaller tank. I hope this answers your question.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

On the 72 K/5 I used to own, we added a pair of saddle tanks for extra gas. That was nice haveing 3 tanks. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. Sandman

So, it looks like there is only one skid plate but two tanks. With the ORD 1" body lift it should be possible to move the tank up an inch. Modify the skid plate (worth the effort) and maybe gain 3" overall with the smaller tank.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, the military K5 I looked at with the small tank had the 31 gallon skid plate as well. As has been said, same skidplate, just gap between tank and plate. Not that it couldn't have been swapped, but I doubt it. (as others have said, you can't simply unbolt one tank and reuse all the parts to strap in the other)