Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Smart method of T-Case Removal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sickquad, Nov 2, 2004.

1. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

I have to take out my NP203 briefly. My father says he used to do it by hand with no help or jack, I think he's lying to me.

I'm thinking I'll use a floor jack with a some 1/4" plate that I have tack welded to it. I'm anticipating that once it is unbolted from the tranny it will want to fall backwards since the crossmember is bolted right to the front of it.

When I put it in there was no body on my frame but I remember how heavy it was. I'm thinking it must be 150lbs.

Anyone got a smart idea for me besides the plate and jack?

-Chris

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I don't think you have too many choices besides a jack or your hands. I have one of those motorcycle jacks that works really well

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

It is possible that your father did it without any mechanical help (jack, etc) depending on how strong he is. When Kennyw dropped mine off at my house, we brought it in my shed, I thought it was heavy, but Im still young and growing... I think he said he moved it into his truck by himself. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

4. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

I put a th350 and np203 in all at once before by myself. I put a jack with some chunks of wood under the trans,then on the transfer tail I put my four-wheeler winch on it. I run the cable over the frame rail on one side then run the cable under the transfer yoke then back over the other frame rail. I just winched and jack at the same time, it fell right in place.
    Then on another truck I took the floor hump out and the plate behind it out. I just drilled out the spot welds. Then took an engine hoist and put it in the truck . I could lower it to the ground with out dropping it.
    Hope this helps don't break your back and good luck /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

one of my friends built a cradle out of wood to hold it at the right angle and to fit his jack so he could just use the jack to take it out and install it.

6. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    one of my friends built a cradle out of wood to hold it at the right angle and to fit his jack so he could just use the jack to take it out and install it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds smart too, there's really no easy way though. That darn 203 is a heavy chunk of iron! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

The last time I pulled and installed my 205 I took the end plates off my tranny adapter for my floor jack. I put some wood under the crossmember mount to make it level with the drop for the front output. I put one of the crossmember mount bolts through the plate and wood into the mount. Worked good.

8. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I have taken out LOTS of 203's w/o a jack... just remove the drivelines, take out the bottom few bolts, take off the tranny hump, and remove the rest of the bolts from the top... then kick the heavy chunk of crap loose and let er fall. When you put it back in, use a 205 and things will be alot easier...

9. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

My friend has dropped his 203 2times and the 2nd time he used an atv/motorcyce jack. Made things alot easier, thats how i would do it.

Later

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I made a jack adapter out of scap plate
    bolts to the PTO opening of a chev 205
    has a flat bottom with a round stock welded vertically under it
    the round stock fits into the floor jack once you remove the jack pad
    it is intentionally a bit loose so you can jockey the TC around a bit
    works like a hot dam and I will not do the 205 bench press again
    the 9/16 hexagonal bruises on my chest are a thing of the past

11. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have taken out LOTS of 203's w/o a jack... just remove the drivelines, take out the bottom few bolts, take off the tranny hump, and remove the rest of the bolts from the top... then kick the heavy chunk of crap loose and let er fall. When you put it back in, use a 205 and things will be alot easier...

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

12. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

I used the kick and drop method to remove my old Rockwell T221. Except it has these 2 stupid hidden bolts in the adapter, so it took a little while /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I just put a milk crate under it, and kicked it off.

To get the 205 in, I had to do a few bench presses...and then had to take it back out later (crossmember wasnt far back enough) /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I use my floor jack with the tranny adapter plate that goes in place of the "saddle" in the floor jack--its esay to make one,all you need is a peice of steel plate and a peice of pipe that will fit fairly snugly into the hole in the jack.Mine is an adjustable one,it has 2 knobs on it so you can adjust the tilt from front to rear and side to side,but I havent really needed the tilt feature much--a flat plate is usually sufficient--I bolt a chain over the t-case to the plate so it cant crush my squash if it decides to roll over after its unbolted,like they usually do.. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

14. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I use a flat plate in my jack and remove the transmission too, even if only the t-case is bad. Just put the plate under the crossmember and take the 4 bolts out of the frame, and let it down. It balances pretty good on the crossmember.

Another way I have done it before is with a come-a-long through the shifter hole in the floor. An engine hoist may work as well.

15. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    RFLMAO That is funny, I was thinking the same thing /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

16. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

At work we have brackets to bolt to the t case and the tranny jack, those make it really easy.

As far as taking it out with no jack, a 205, yeah, 203, no way. I remember when I put my 205 back on I had one of my buddies bench press it up and in (with 12" of lift and 42s) That was by far the fastest. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

The first time I did the "transfer case relay" I was only on 6" with 38s, so I used a jack. It was a PITA. Now on 8" with 44s, whenever I have had to take it out, I lay under the truck with a 4x4 under my shoulders. Then I press it up and into place. I hold it there while I start a couple bolts. Without the 4x4, my arms are too short.

18. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

I made a tool with a small piece of angle iron we had laying around the shop...welded a spring pin to it (semi)....and then drilled two holes for the adapter bolts. Basically use two jacks...one holds the trans pan...then remove crossmember...bolt tool to adapter...spring pin slides into hole where jack cup plate goes...balance a 350/205 pretty damn good...allthough someday i should revise it to fit the jack better as the spring pin is slightly smaller than the opening in the jack...ask robzilla...he's used it before...

DW

19. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

UPDATE....

Complete failure. Made a really nice cradle for my jack, got it unbolted, started to push the T-Case back everything was looking good, just as my father was saying he couldn't believe it was working something slipped and it came crashing to the floor. I tried to catch it, my father was laughing his ass off and spilled his beer.

-Chris

20. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Well, at least you got it out /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

These guys that bench press theirs in must be some pretty big fellas. I can hardly pick my 205 up when it's on the ground, let alone bench press it.