Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

smc465 speedo fix - is this too much???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RootBreaker, Aug 2, 2005.

1. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Ok so I posted a little bit back on ps.com... hijack a bit on a thread...
    http://www.pavementsucks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=72944

anyhow...

called them up to get my speedo fixed...
    well
    $75 if I send them my box for them to calibrate... also need to take my gps and get an acurate reading on the difference....

Since I already have the reducer/increaser adapter that is why it is only $75...

when I send it and if they dont have the gears for it.. then it is $150....

is it really worth it to spend that to fix a speedo or does that seem expensive?

I can use my gps as a speedo so that is fine with me ????

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Assuming this is your '78, (?) there is no fix in the speedometer. That tells me something about a shop if the year vehicle is correct. :rolleyes:

Need to get the right gear ratio adapter and that will fix it. They are/were made in a wide variety of ratios.

3. RootBreaker

that is his point.. he asked me if I knew the gear ratio of the device. I said no... he said.. send it in..... and they can either replace the ratio in it or give me another one with the correct ratio......

am I wrong here??
    For that money I am going to make a custom mount in my truck for the gps and use that......

oh yeah here is my ipaq hardware....
    http://www.pavementsucks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=70670

also that is hard to see but I also have tomtom 3 to which I dont like the app but the gps info is nice as it shows a big speed part...

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Go to the local junkyards.
    Look on all the chevy trannys where the speedo cable attaches to.
    on some you will find a little gear reduction box that goes inline between the speedo cable and where it attaches to the t-case or tranny on a 2wd.
    Grab all those little boxes you can, then try swapping them into your truck and see what it does for your speedo.
    I did this and found one box that made my speedo almost exact when i put it inline with my speedo cable.

Good luck.

5. dyeager535

The ratio SHOULD be stamped into the housing of the adapter. The ones I have all have a ratio stamped into them: .83, 1.03, etc.

If you know the percentage you are off on the speedometer, (and you should with GPS) you can figure out which adapter you'd need.

Slightly off-topic (but per your post there) I say screw the RIAA, I would like to see them sue someone for downloading a song they already own. My opinion is that has been the downfall of everyone that's been sued...they don't own the recordings they are accused of downloading, or they haven't tried taking that approach. Since you can make copies of tapes you legally own, I don't think it's TOO much of a stretch to download copies instead of making your own, for something you already purchased. I'm sure that would be up to the courts to decide for sure, to my knowledge no one has tried to say they already owned the music they were downloading. Typically it seems they have hundreds if not thousands of songs from different artists on their HD's.

It pisses me off that if someone is not tech savvy enough to rip CD's themselves (that they own) they are somehow criminals for downloading those songs that someone else has ripped. And if their $16+ cd gets scratched when the CD drive fails? Do they get a free replacement from the RIAA? :rolleyes: I recall when that happened to my dad, and Windows 98 was something like $150/copy.

/rant off

6. RootBreaker

I agree with the mp3's

also my box says this....
    777F .9743D

spin it to the opposite side.... W9

7. RootBreaker

do you have any of them still in your possession? :crazy:

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

gears available???

One parts store I worked at had an old wooden box under the counter(looked like a machinists box)..it said "Stewart-Warner" on the lid,and inside it had several wooden "pins" with small gears on them--I learned they were the gears for those little "ratio adapters" they used on many trucks,GM and others--..

The guy at the counter next to mine ran the "heavy truck" parts section of the store that catered to Semi's and Big Rigs..those trucks use the same ratio boxes evidently,and quite often that counterman would have to dig thru the box and find someone the correct gear(s) to correct their speedometer reading...so maybe a truck supply place that deals with the "big rigs" might have those gears too--or maybe our aincient dusty wooden box full was "the last of the moheicans"? :dunno: :crazy:

9. RootBreaker

dud ya just sent a chill up my spine.....

it does have a SW on it!!!!!!

:eek1:

hmmm we will see...

10. dyeager535

.9743 should be the ratio.

11. RootBreaker

12. dyeager535

As mentioned, these things are pretty common in wrecking yards, especially ones where trannies are pulled and just piled up.

I had a pile of these things somewhere, if you can figure out approx. what you'd need, I can probably check and see if I can find them.

I've got one on my 465/205 setup sitting alongside my house, can't recall what the ratio is on it.

13. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

yes i think i may have one or two laying around.. and it is possible to get more.

how much do you need the speedo calibrated? faster or slower?

:wink1:

14. RootBreaker

dunno.... i have the one listed... drinkin too much tho loolk back...

anyhow... when y speedo says 60 oim doin 69???? :crazy:

15. RootBreaker

ok so some searching on the web and stuff.. i have come up with some stuff..

1. local yards want $20-$40 for that lil sucker so gotta know what I exactly need....

2. emailed out people from web searches yesterday and got good results...
    found someone Speedometer Service ask for Roger @ 414-463-6660. here is the kicker.... you drive say a few miles.... figure out how far off your odometer is off by... then you tell them.. the nice thing with that is I have bigger tires but stock gearing (4.56's :wink1: ) and even replaced my speedometer when I did the factory tach upgrade..... I think this speedo says 100 or 110 and my original was 85mph... so thus the guy calculates what I need and rebuilds mine for a low $35... if not then $98.50 for a new one.....
    if you give them a call tell them Jeff from NJ told ya to call....(not like I can do anything but told him I would send others their way)

3. also bone yard searching and me trying to get time to figure out which one I need..... ahh fergetaboutit

4. Got 1 more company to try.... guy wasnt in yet...
    Jay with Lspeedo @ 800-951-5123 - will call him in the hr....

thought id let yall know just in case any of you wanna get yours fixed and are limited on time like me.... :haha:

16. dyeager535

OK, still confused on this rebuild stuff. Are they still talking about your speedometer getting fixed?

Cable speed never changes on GM speedometers (is it 1000 or 2000 revolutions per mile?) thus, the speedometer itself doesn't need "fixed" because the reading is off, unless the problem is not related to cable speed.

It doesn't matter what the speedometer face reads, as the 100 or 85MPH speedometers are both "calibrated" based on the same cable speed for a given MPH. If you swap between an 85MPH and 100MPH speedometer, both will read, say, 50MPH at the same vehicle speed.

This is why the adapters exist...instead of changing speedometer gears to get the cable to spin at the same speed after a gear or tire size change, you just screw on an adapter. The OUTPUT of the speedometer gear OR adapter should always equal that standard 1000 or 2000RPM. (too lazy to go look that number up)