Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

smells and smokes like oil -rear main seal?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wazzabie, Sep 30, 2001.

1. wazzabie

wazzabie 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a 305 connected to a 700r tranny. After the V8 heats up I get white fumes and burt oil smell comming from the rear of the engine. Itcomes up behind the back side of both valve covers. What could be leaking? It must be leaking onto the exust? I don't think it is leaking valve covers. Could it be rear main seal? I am not losing alot of oil though. Could a leak from were distruter gets oil cause this? Could this be cause by vacume problems. Before this happened my vacume pump went out and sent shavings up into the air intake. The filter stoped it but it went into the hoses.

thanks

feel free to reply

2. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the valve cover gaskets are leaking at the back-ends. Try a small mirror and a bright flashlight to check it.

9/11/01..Never forget...Never forgive

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Check and make sure that your oil pressure sending unit isn't leaking. Are you sure it's not the valve covers? Generally a rear main seal will leak onto the ground. Have you found any spots on the driveway?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the only engines that had vacuum pumps were diesels.......

<font color=blue> WE WILL NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

4. scooby

scooby Registered Member

oil sender??

" never to high "

5. FWP

FWP CRS

White smoke is usually tranny fluid or engine coolant. Oil is usually dark in color when it burns. Look for wet spots on the exhaust or elsewhere in the vacinity and see if you can trace it back from there. All the trucks and cars I have seen with a rear main leak drip from the converter pan/ dust shield onto the ground. Hope that helps some.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/75K5>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/75K5</a>

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Your oil sending unit is found on the back of the motor on the driver's side(beside the distributor) It looks like a little silver or bronze can(about 3" long and 1 1/2 inches diameter) that threads into the block at about 45 degrees. There will be either one or two wires attached to the top(probably one). If oil is getting past the threads it can leak down behind the motor and fall onto the exhaust......

<font color=blue> WE WILL NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

7. wazzabie

wazzabie 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I never thought bout the oil sending unit. Most of the smoke is comming from the passanger side

Is it possiblr that the distriboter is leaking oil?

I am going to replace the valve gaskets - I don't think that is what is leaking but I am not sure.

8. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

You might pull the valve covers anyway and make sure none of those shavings made it into any of those holes in there and plugged them up. Do you have a mirror? You can go to eckerd and get one of those mirrors like dentists use that you can angle and swivle and look behind the engine. Maybe that'll help find it.

<font color=blue>Women should put pictures of missing men on beer cans...</font color=blue>
    Website link is in my profile [​IMG]

9. BlazinRojo

BlazinRojo 1/2 ton status

i would change your valve cover gaskets....that solved my problem; however mine were very obviously leaking from the sides. Normally your rear main seal would leak onto the ground and not burn off. And in my experience, oil smoke is light blue/gray....at least mine was....but i had about 5 year old oil in it at the time... But also check the sending unit...that's a definite possibility.

Shutup Brain or I'll stab you with a Q-Tip - Homer J. Simpson