Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Smelly New Exhaust

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 350k5, Jan 15, 2006.

1. 350k5

350k5 1/2 ton status

About 3 weeks ago I got a new new stainless steel exhaust put on my K5. Headers, into Y-Pipe, Cat, Y-Pipe and dual Flowmasters. Really makes the truck sound a lot nicer then it did with the glass packs or whatever the PO had put on there.

However, I notice that when I get out of the truck there is a burning plastic like smell coming from under the truck, right by the drivers side (right where the Cat is) and I'm a little unsure as to what it could be. Kind of stumped really, any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

My exhaust smoked and smelled weird for a while after I installed it. It will probably go away in a week or two.

3. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

Run over any plastic bags lately?
    I've seen them touch stick and burn against hot exhaust
    Also had one take out my pinion seal one time lol.

4. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

as long as there is nothing laying on the exhaust, it will go away

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You might just want to stick your head up under there. Since cats were never installed on the drivers side, maybe you are melting any undercoating that may be on the vehicle.

6. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

My cat is on the driver side...I thought all K5s had the cat on the driver side?!?!

7. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

It is most likely burn off of a ceramic coating or paint from the headers. If you have made a visual check of wire harnesses and other parts near your entire exhaust system you will be okay in a couple of weeks. If it is your cat, add a heat sheild.

8. barneybasher1010

barneybasher1010 1/2 ton status

my cat is on the drivers side also. When I replaced it it smelled for a couple of weeks then went away.:D

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Hey, I could be wrong, it's been a few years since I had a cat on one of these trucks. The GM RWD cars I've dealt with are all passenger side cat, but I recall that the trucks were on the same side as well, factory. (K5 anyways)

There were tons of exhaust configurations the same year depending on emissions class, unfortunately I don't have my service manual handy to check the routing for all of them.

I know there was at least one post of the passenger floor being hot attributed to the cat converter, can't find it. Just curious now.