Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Smittibilt Roll Cage

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ryeguy, Oct 30, 2000.

1. Ryeguy

Ryeguy 1/2 ton status

Hi guys,

I'm considering purchasing the Smittibilt roll cage for my K5 ('87). Just a few questions:
    1.) has anyone got a picture of this cage installed, on-line? I've found references but not an actual link.
    2.) how strong is this cage? I.e., is it just for show, or will it actually help out during a rollover? I expect my truck to weigh in around 6500# when it's done, I don't want to install a cage that won't do its thing. I'll make one first.
    3.) how does it mount (near the body mounts)? does it tuck away nicely and not interfere with the pedals, etc.? Does it tie in with the back of the cab (where the cap bolts)? (I think that'd be a nice idea, clean, up high, etc.).

Any input on this would be appreciated. I only want to build this truck once.

--Rob

2. rich'90

rich'90 1/2 ton status

Most smittybuilt and pre-manufactured roll cages come with the disclaimer "for show purposes" or something like that. You can make a good safe cage out of it by tying it into your frame but I think it is more work than just fabricating one for your truck. Some of the other guys here may have done it and have different opinions so hopefully they will inform you.
    Good luck.

Go heavy or Go home[​IMG]

3. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

Rich'90 is correct about the disclaimer, but I think that is just to cover their own butts!!! As for building one, I remember seeing a bitchen one a couple weeks back on this forum. I know some will remember the yellow K5 with the cage going through the dash?!?!? Aslo go to http://www.toyboxoffroad.com/moose and check out his.

blazen91

4. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I have one in my 74 and the material they use is the same as what anybody else would build your cage out of unless you are going to go crome moly. I added two upper center bars for a CB mount and extra head protection, a bar at the rear for a 5 point harness and two lower bars that tie the front of the cage to the rear of the cage at the floor board level. I do not have a way to send you pics cause I am digital camera poor. Right now I have it mounted with sandwich plates and I have every confidence that it would hold my truck up in a roll over. But just to make sure I am going to tie it to the frame this winter. I would not tie it to the back of your cab though or you will get vibration through it. You will also have to play with the placement of the left front side to still be able to use the E-brake. I priced a full cage before this at 1200 bucks. I spent 200 on this one plus some 1.5 diameter .1875 wall DOM tubing ($20) and me and a buddy a day to place it, tack weld it, remove, weld it up completely and reinstall it.

5. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Here is a pic of the one in my 90 K5, I think it would do fine for a low speed roll over, but if you want real protection get it built by someone who knows what their doing. I think the DOM tubing is what you want for the real beef and tie it into the frame and make a cage out of it. Check out some of the work Scott has done at rockstomper.com I visited his shop last week and his work looks awesome.
    You can also use the Smitty and add on to it like Butch did to make it stronger and cost effective, but I do like the stronger pipe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

6. Ryeguy

Ryeguy 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, I think I'll be building my own.

--Rob