Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Smittybilt cage kits in 1st gens

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chris Demartini, Jul 29, 2000.

1. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I want to put in a cage, but it would cost too much. In the June 2000 Four Wheel & Off Road they built a nice cage for a J**p using the Smittybilt cage kit and a front hoop that they welded to eachother and then made outrigers going to the frame. I would like to do this to my truck, I can weld the outriggers here. Has anyone done this to a 69-75 K5? Thanks!</font color=blue>

http://www.chrisd71k5.coloradok5.com <font color=blue>Updated!</font color=blue>

2. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I have had the smity cage kit in mine now for 5 or 6 years, the only warning I can give you is to macke sure the tops on and the doors are fitted right be fro you weld the cage in.

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

3. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>The front of my tub is not straight so I realized this would have to wait until after I straightened the tub. Did you use the front hoop and the rear bar kit? Did you connect them? Do you have any pictures? Thanks for the info.</font color=blue>

http://www.chrisd71k5.coloradok5.com <font color=blue>Updated!</font color=blue>

4. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

I used the factory rear bar, and tied into the front using a smittybuilt front cage. The kit needed to be fabed in some, but it was easy. Just make sure that you have a pro weld the tube for you. You can tack it in place, but please have a competent welder do the job. The welding is the single most important part of the job. If done poorly the factory bar will be comprimised and you will have only weak tube up there to save you life. This is one area where even an OK job will not due.

5. ED70K5

ED70K5 1/2 ton status

Blazer72>>>> Would it be possible to see some pics????????

Blazin' in TEXAS!

6. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I can take some in the am if it stops rainning, for now go to readers rides and look under Ken, also it the dr blue on at the k5 run

Ken

7. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>Is there any way to tie the cage into the frame? I was going to use sandwich mounts under the body then connect them to the frame with round tubing and bushings, but it looks like the rocker boxes will be in the way. Has anyone done this?</font color=blue>

8. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

there is no good way nor is it worth doing blazer just flex to much and tieing the cage to the fram would stop to much of that, any way if you roll one it a toltal any way the cage is to save you not the truck, plus the smity cage ties in almost on top of the body mopunts

Ken