Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

smittybilt cage?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NCJOSH, Jun 5, 2005.

1. NCJOSH

NCJOSH Registered Member

Anyone have any experience with the smittybilt cage kit? Is it worth a darn or would I be better suited to just get one somewhere else? Thanks.

2. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

I have one, but to be honest with you, if I could have erase anything we did on my Jimmy, it would have been the roll bar. I would have had one professionally built. You can't put a price one your and others safety and well being.

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I have one too. I think it's built fine, the problem I have with it is its not hugging the cab walls enough and invading more space then it really needs to inside the cab. It's like 2" from the dash, 2" may not sound like a lot, but after you bash your knees almost every time getting in and out, you start looking at it and saying, gee that thing could be alot closer to the dash then what it is.
    I fabbed up the rear section, and I concluded the same as the other guy, I think I should just fabbed the whole thing.

Like here, it could hug the a-pillar a lot better, and the lower section should be closer the the Front body hinge pillar. It needs to clear the dash pad (which isn't installed here) at the one furthest point out, but should be hugging the body a lot better then it is.
    [​IMG]

4. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

I have a smitty kit up front added to my factory roll bar and it runs along the pillar at the top, even rubs against the rubber at the top of the winsheild corners.I also added a rear cage for the kids and around the cargo area for more support. Couldn't go alll the way back with the cage because it would interfere with the soft top folding down. And so I could remove it, I made it 2 piece with some anti-shear plates I got from DIY4x. My front cage has to tilt back to get it in, so if I had built a 1 piece I would have to cut it out if I ever wanted to remove it. Worked out great. I am just mentioning all this because there is alot of obstacles to think about when building your cage that you need to consider, so you do not have to do it twice.

DSC00705.JPG

DSC00711.JPG

DSC00709.JPG

DSC00710.JPG

5. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Not to hijack, but that newer style dash in there is sweet. How much trouble was that to fit in there?

6. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status