Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Smittybuilt cage, yeah or neah???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bikejunkie, Jun 29, 2003.

1. bikejunkie

bikejunkie Registered Member

I have been doing lots of searches on roll cage and cant decide on the Smittybuilt cage or not. The price is pretty good and all. And most people have had good things to say about them. I'm just wondering about quality, will they hold up in a roll over(if properly bolted to floor, using sandwich plates underneath)? Or are they there just for looks. I need a good cage to start with, so I can add on to. Anyone have pics of there Smittybuilt cage in there K5. thanks

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i have a smitty cage. rear part is installed... still waiting to do the front. IMO, its a good foundation for a cage... if properly gusseted/supported and mounted to the body it should be good for 99% of your offroad rollovers. The best thing about it for me was that i can add on to it and make it better as i go along... which is good for peeps with not to much $$$. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

j

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Got pics? How would oyu "properly" install?

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I like my smittybilt cage. It's an excellent start for a complete cage system. However, bolting to the body won't support it, mabey fine for a very low speed rollover, but in my '73 with no other protection, I wanted to protect the me and the rest of the occupants in any rollover event. You need to go all the way to the frame. I made my own flexy mounts from the frame to underneath the cage points, I bent and welded my own rear section and used their complete four point front section.

5. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

They looked real good when I was looking into cages... but seemed real expensive when I checked into them. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Ken H.