Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SmittyBuilt Cages

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shiftyone, Feb 25, 2005.

1. shiftyone

shiftyone Registered Member

Quick Questions:
    I am looking at purchasing a Smittybuilt 4 point cage (it is the cage that goes in the rear of an 88 K5) Again, I currently don't do any rockcrawling or crazy off roading, it is more of a recreational toy but I wanted to have the safety of a rear cage as added protection.

Has anyone had any experience with them?

Smittybuilt has a front cage option that attaches or can be welded to the rear cage if I was to go that route.

Again, I don't need a full on cage at this point, just some additional roll over protection for when the top is off etc.

Thanks,
    Shiftyone.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have a smitty rollbar in my '85. I also have the interior tube kit that makes it a full cage. Since I have my own bender now, I'm probably going to sell the smitty stuff and bend up my own. Where are you located? I could cut you a good deal on the smitty...

j

3. shiftyone

I am in Houston, TX. Do you like the Smittybuilt cage? has it served it's purpose? and isn't cheap are anything?

What price would you want for your cage?

Brad
    AKA: Shiftyone

4. jekbrown

opps, you're a little to far away. Im in Vancouver, WA. The smitty cage is plenty good for what you want to use it for. The only reason I want to sell it is because I have the gear to make my own now and I'm going to chop the top on my rig which means I want the cage's top to be a little higher than the smitty cage is. Anyway, no easy or cheap way to ship it so you'd prolly be better off getting one from 4wpw.

j

5. shiftyone

Thanks for the offer. I am actually ordering it from Summit Racing and they are shipping it to me from Ohio ( I think) I just ordered the rear part of the cage and they priced it at $166.00 plus tax and shipping is $75.00

Shiftyone,

6. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Not a bad price, make sure ou show us some pic's when you get her installed:)

7. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Hey shiftyone, is there anywhere I can find a pic of what you ordered? I'm thinking the rear cage is where I'll start too, but I wanna know what it looks like first.

8. jekbrown

if you go to 4wpw with the price from summit, they will match it and you can just pick it up at the store. Thats what I did, saved me $75 in shipping costs.

AFA a pic of the rear smitty kit, here ya go...

[​IMG]

I can get more if ya need it. I thought I had better pics of it, but it seems like all the ones in webshots / CK5 gallery never really show it that well.

firefighter... aint you in WA? :D

j

9. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

is that just a roll bar or does it actually add protection?

10. jekbrown

the smitty cages come in 2 seperate kits... the bed kit (shown in the pic) is just a roll bar, 4 point, nothing fancy. The interior tube kit is the other half, it has tube that runs along the top of the doors then down in front of the dash to the floor with a horizontal bar running allong the dash too. I have the interior part, just haven't installed it yet, 'cause Im going full-custom cage in the relatively near future. Prolly be tied into the body in about 14 points. I like the jungle gym look. lol!

j

11. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The front part of my cage is a Smittybuilt cage. It contours great to the dash. I don't have any interference issues with getting in and out of the truck and I am 6'4". I have hit my head on the bar above the door once or twice but that was my fault when I was getting in or out.

I will say that I do not like the steel Smittybuilt was using when they built my kit. My cage isn't new, it is older. They may have changed the steel since then but the steel back then was a PITA to weld on. It welded nothing like normal 2" .120 wall that I picked up form the steel yard for the rest of the cage. If you weren't careful you would blow threw it really quick.

If you plan to use the cage in a truck that has a posibility of seeing some decent action and a good rollover I would recommend some heavy gusseting and add in some support bars to make sure that the cage is up to par above and beyond the way it is provided by Smittybuilt.

Harley

12. IDGMC

IDGMC 1/2 ton status

I'm in southern Idaho and may be interested in your cage. What do you think you want for it?

13. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

sent you a pm...

14. jekbrown

you're second in line. Tried to send you a PM but it says you won't/can't accept PMs...

j

15. IDGMC

IDGMC 1/2 ton status

Don't think I know how? newby here

16. jekbrown

gotta be in the userCP or the FAQ somewheres...

j

17. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

I thought you had to be a member to get/send pm's :dunno:

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You have to be a member to reply, you can recieve PMs as a non-paying member.

19. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

let me resurect this post if i may. well i guess i already did :D do the smitty built cages actually offer any protection in the event of a rollover? i want a cage for the added security and cant build one so im trying to deside between an s&w cage or a smitty built unit.

20. jekbrown

In their un-modified form the two are pretty similar with respect to protection. Both of 'em could use some gusseting and some bracing so they'd hold up to a nasty roll. Low speed flop type stuff shouldn't be a problem assuming the floor in your rig isn't rotted away with rust.

j