Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Smittybuilt vs. S&W

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by four_by_ken, May 10, 2002.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

As of now I am going with the S&W cage.
    Simply because I cant find any pictures of the Smittybuilt one. And the information that I found on it sucks. Anyone have any pictures or and descent information about it.

Ken H.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

ken, good call... I'd love to see more pics of the smitty kit. I am thinking of going with the smitty and them modifying it slightly to suit my needs... shouldn't be toooo hard right? Still, pics would be awesome... who has some?

J

3. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Which kit? The Bolt-in Rear kit, or the front weld-in kit? You can see both of them in Product Literature format on our site - go to <a target="_blank" href=http://www.autoaccessory.com>www.autoaccessory.com</a> and type in K5 in the search box...click on the Project K5 link...then click on the Smittybilt links on that page...

You can also see it installed in my truck if you click on the Nifty Products Proline Replacement Carpet Kit (you can see the roll bars in that pic clearly and you can also see the front weld-in part if you look closely at the dash area) I am very happy with mine. I also added in a rear family cage section (not shown in pic) recently to tie it all together, and am very happy with all of it! If you have any questions, just ask! We do sell them here at work, it's just that the truck freight on them is usually very expensive - so if you can get them locally through a 4x4 store, you are probably better off price-wise!

4. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

4X4HIGH (Scott) has the bolt in Smittybuilt roll bar. He had to some trimming to get it to fit in. Once he figures on how to upload pics on the net I'm sure he'll post pics.

5. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I have the smittybuilt front and rear.

Of course I haven't welded in the front pieces yet, because I don't have jig to drill the tube holes in the hoops. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

can someone clarify something for me...

when we are talking about the "bolt on" smitty kit... are we saying that it bolts to the body.... or that the inidividual pieces of the cage bolt together? I dunno... I dont like the idea of cage pieces being bolted together.... seems a lil cheesy. Anyone said screw the bolts and welded it up instead? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

J

7. Haulgas

Haulgas 1/2 ton status

who or what is S&amp;W

8. UseYourBlinker

Bolt on means "everything" the bars bolt together,and the roll bar bolts to the floor.

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.swracecars.com/roll%20bars%26cages.html>Look here for S&amp;W</a>

10. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

KIT#1 THE HOOP BAR IS A PURE BOLT IN BUT YOU JUST NEED TO DRILL THE FLOOR TO SCURE IT.
    KIT#2 THE 2ND KIT IS ATTACHED TO KIT #1 THE FRT. PART OF THE CAGE IS WELDED TO THE HOOP BAR AND THE BAR THAT RUNS ALONG THE WINDSHIELD IS ALSO WELDED TO THE SIDE BARS ( THE FRT. CAGE) THEN ALL IS BOLTED TO THE FLOOR.
    MAN I SURE HOPE THIS HELPS ***** ALL IN ALL THE SMITTY BUILT IS A NICE CAGE AND THE PRICE IS PRETTY GOOD TO.

11. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Yep, what BillyRay said.

12. four_by_ken

Did Scott ever get pictures of his roll bar?

Thanks
    Ken H.

13. four_by_ken

When you say you added the family section... was that through Smittybuilt, or you did that yourself?

Thanks
    Ken H.

14. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

He did a post on it a while back where he detailed it. BUt, if memory serves me correctly, he got a second bolt in center hoop, modified it to fit in the rear (had to chop some off the bottoms due to the increased floor height) and then welded in the support bars as spreaders between the center and rear hoops.

15. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Yes, just as he said, I took a Smittybilt center hoop, turned it backwards, chopped off about 8 inches (that's the difference in floor height) and put it in. It fits the hardtop PERFECTLY! When you look from the rear outside the truck, you cannot even see the roll bar along the top! Then I welded in some spreaders to the center hoop section. When I get the top off here in the next couple of weeks, I plan on adding in two more spreaders just for even more protection. But it worked awesome and was very easy on the budget!

16. UseYourBlinker

Ken....no Scott has not got any pics of it. He's still trying to figure out how the digital camera works /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

17. 73blazerUSMC

73blazerUSMC Registered Member

hey tell scott (also my name) to push the button those damn things are made to pis@ you off /forums/images/icons/smile.gif