Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

smog - 60 hydrocarbons too high

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FlatBlackBurb, Apr 25, 2007.

1. FlatBlackBurb

FlatBlackBurb 1/2 ton status

the smog saga continues...

took it to get smogged. replaced the plugs yesterday. its really close to passing now. it's supposed to be 180 hydros or lower. mine floats around 200-250. im really hesitant to get a new cat on there because i feel like that's just throwing money down the drain. is there anything i can do.
    i disconnected the IAC a couple of days ago and it somehow brought the idle down. would this have anything to do with my problem?

2. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

How dirty is the oil? Change it if you're close to the change interval. What about the oxygen sensor? was it ever changed?

Get the truck hot and limit the amount of idling you do before you go get tested.

3. FlatBlackBurb

FlatBlackBurb 1/2 ton status

i just changed the oil about a week ago. wont the o2 sensor usually throw a bad code if it needs to be changed? i tried limiting the idle when it was hot but it doesnt affect it that much. i was idling at about 1200 when hot now im idling at 1020. yesterday my HC's were 400+ at idle so i changed out the spark plugs. some of the old plugs had a lot of grease and gunk on them. thats a bad sign right, is there anything i can do right now to get it to pass smog in a couple hours? what would you guys reccomend?

4. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Bad O2 sensor can cause a rich condition, which leads to gunky plugs & high HC readings..in other words, too much fuel is being called for, and you can't combust enough. What kind of shape is the rest of the ignition in? I always do cap/wires/rotor/plugs at the same time.