Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Smog Check 2 in Bay Area

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by Shaggy, Sep 27, 2002.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Looks like Davis is going to sign the bill today. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

</font color>

2. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Davis = ASS!

3. CRAWLIN70

CRAWLIN70 1/2 ton status

I love my pre-smog...lol... thats why i have a 70,71,72 and 73 /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

4. Headbanger

Headbanger 1/2 ton status

We've been doing this in So. Cal. for years now! If you keep your vehicle maintained, and do any general maintenance before you test, you still shouldn't have a problem passing.Make sure you always check your oxygen sensors and your cats. They fail more cars than any other parts on your engine. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif It may start out costing more but competition will eventually bring the price down. We have places down here that do it for $19.00 + cert.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> My truck is a federally smogged vehicle, no cats or AIR, no sensors on it either since it's a '78. Anyone know if there's a limit to how big of tires they will run on the treadmill? I have also heard that they can't do all wheel drive vehicles, maybe I can throw some drive flanges in it and tell them it's a full time 4wd truck. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif </font color>

6. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

There was someone on this board saying that they can't do anything bigger than 33's. They had some 38's and had to swap 'em in order to get it done. They were from the valley, I think...

7. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

And they can't do all wheel drives.. Tell them you have a 203 and it still has the full time kit in it..

8. chris672

chris672 1/2 ton status

They did mine with 36's.
    Do you think that the added weight of bigger tires with stock gearing would put a greater load on your engine and cause greater emissions?

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I wonder how it would do on 31s with 5.13s? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Couldn't be that much more load on the engine than there is at idle. Could be real sneaky and remove the front shaft and pop the t-case in low when you pull into the test station, then there would really be a light load on the engine. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif </font color>

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    There was someone on this board saying that they can't do anything bigger than 33's.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That depends on the shop. The shop I go to, when I smogged back last year, I asked the tech and he told me they would test I think he said up to 36" or 38". I go to a reputable shop.

11. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Well all this talk about smog this and smog that is making me even more thankfull of the no smog on my blazer....HE HE /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

12. Headbanger

Headbanger 1/2 ton status

It definitely depends on the shop, the biggest I've run were 36" inch tires, but I've never had the opportunity to try to run bigger!! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Also one thing we check for is to make sure the truck is not in 4wheel drive. And no we can't do full time 4wheel drive vehicles the new way. We still do them the old way(2 speed idle).

13. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Yeah that is the way I smogged mine even though I had the driveshaft out and locked the trans, I told him it was a full time and he did the old test.
    By the way if you have low gearing and put it in low, it will be worse because you will have to drive it up to 25 mph, that will put you in hi RPMs.
    I still like my diesel better, no smog even for the ater models, and you acn always convert them to gas, and still never smog them /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    IceMan

14. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

At least my 76 Federal rig only requires PCV &amp; Thermastatic Air cleaner + it's full time 4x4.......well it used to be!
    /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifBill