Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

smog control junk

Discussion in 'Plains Region' started by crroy71, Jun 24, 2002.

1. crroy71

crroy71 Registered Member

Has anyone taken off all of the smog junk on a '86 or newer K-5? I am wanting to remove all of mine, but I am not sure what the effects might be. What will I have to do to the carb, if anything. I don't have to do the emissions testing, but will it pass a visual inspection?
    I want to remove the canister, and all of the hoses.
    Thanks,

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Not sure what it will effect but you won't pass inspection without all that crap /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

3. crroy71

crroy71 Registered Member

That's what I was afraid of.
    Hopefully I will get it road worthy in the morning. I am taking it down to the muffler shop for a whole new exhaust.
    The cat is so bad, I am not even sure I will make it to the shop. It keeps spitting those little white pellets out of the tail pipe, Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Anyway, thanks for the info

4. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

You can sometimes get away with removing some stuff and having it pass. On my rig, for example, I removed the smog pump. It still passed visual. But, if yours has EGR and you remove it, that is usually a big failure (unless you find a sympathetic shop). And I think you would be hardpressed to find anyone that would pass you without a canister.