Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Smog Exempt 84 K5. Time to build. Ideas?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ellero, Jan 5, 2007.

1. ellero

ellero Registered Member

So I am now smog exempt on my 84 K5 Blazer. It has a 350 and I am installing a transmission and transfer case out of an 78 because I tore my 84 tranny off. Oops ! Anyway, now that I am not restricted to the old California emmisions, what can I do to start making it run like it should or a hell of a lot better than it should?

I am on somewhat of a budget, but do not want to spend a lot of $$ only to have to buy something else later. Any and all ideas are welcome. It currently is set up with a 4 inch suspension lift (all springs) and 35x12.5 Cooper STT tires and the stock 350. It has not run in a year due to the tranny issue and my broken leg from the dirtbike. Its time to get rolling and I need her running strong by Feb. I guess I just need to know what to buy and what to stay away from.

Thanks,

John

K5.jpg

2. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

How are you not restricted on an 84? Are you sure about that?

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Is this an original CA truck?

If so, "budget" is going to come down to what you think is expensive...you'll need another carb and distributor if you want to get rid of whats on there.

If you make sure it's in top running order, you won't gain any noticeable power by taking any of the smog stuff off. And with a CCC system (compter controlled carb) you can't just tke a bit off here and there and have it stil run right.

4. ellero

ellero Registered Member

It is an original CA truck, but I am moving to GA in a county where there are no emmissions checks. My goal is to get it running good and build it from there. I just dont want to buy one carb and manifold only to get a different one later if that makes any sense. I assume I will have to change the whole carb and manifold system and simplify it to run well without all the extra crap. I just dont know whats good and whats not. I would also like to get headers and run duel exhaust to get rid of that crosover pipe that hangs down.

5. ellero

ellero Registered Member

Moving to a county in GA with no restrictions.