Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Smog Exemptness in CA

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by Swifty, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Swifty

Swifty Registered Member

I have a 79 k5 and it was just smogged when I bought it last month. I have always been told that any car 25 years or older is smog exempt. That would mean mine qwould be exempt in 2004 and since it was smogged this year does this mean I can take off all the smog equipment and get true duals? Thanks for the help. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

You are better for leaveing the smog stuff on ( I don't think they have the new laws worked out yet , Has changed 2 times in the last year that I know of..) And good luck on finding a mufler shop that will make you "true duals",i.e they won't because it is ilegale for them to do.If it has cats the they must stay No shop I know of will take thenm off for straight pipes,....mike /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Don't count on it....!

The last I heard was that the smog laws were moving to a 30-year sliding scale, starting in 2004.

Currently all '73 and earlier are exempt.....in 2004, the '74s will become exempt, 75's in 2005, etc.

That would make you responsible for smog until 2009.....but as was already mentioned, the smog laws continue to be a hot topic, so expect the proposals and laws to keep changing...

4. Priest

Priest Registered Member

Just curious, why do you want true duals? A single 3" pipe will actually out flow dual 2.5" pipes not mention that unless you are running some serious hp would you never need to flow that much. On top of that you have the added cost of duals and it is more stuff hanging under your rig to get bashed, ripped, torn, hung up on, and abused. I don't see any benefit.

Just my .02

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Heck, as far as I'm concerned, the gomers in Sac need to be straight breathing exhaust, then they might think straight. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Disclaimer: To y'all law types that just read the preceding, that is what the world calls humor. I am not, nor am I calling for the senseless killing of sensible, hard working souls that we send to Sacramento. I am just eluding to the fact that those poor souls, due to the hard work they do for us such as changing laws every year, forcing local governments into large budget cuts for their state mandated programs and budget deficits should inhale a little different type of chemicals since the majority of them seem to be on friggin drugs!!!

Oh hell, somebody tell me to shut the hell up already!!!!!!

6. Swifty

Swifty Registered Member

Yea I hear you. I mostly wanted to find out about the laws and after looking it over today I will be getting a single 3" pipe with a single chamber flow. Thanks for helping a newbie. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. Priest

Priest Registered Member

Glad I could offer some usefull advice. I also forgot to mention that inorder to get the most out of duals you would have to run a cross over pipe which will definatly get smashed if your doing anything serious. Check out the exhause on Steve Fox's rig for a good example of nice simple system that is tucked away. For a system that is custom bent like that it will cost you some money but if you going to run it hard it's worth is.

One last thing, if it's a daily driver I would probably go with a three chamber flowmaster unless you really want to listen to your truck that much.... I just recently had to put a muffler on my runner and I went with the good old $15 cherry bomb glass pack from Kragen. I know that alot of people roll their eyes at that but it is small so it's easy to tuck away. It's also a whopping $15 so the first time I rip it off on a rock I'm not going to really give a damn and as long as you get a nice long one it will be relatively quiet. again, that's just my opinion... that and 50 cents will get you half a buck.

8. JohnnyFresno

JohnnyFresno 1/2 ton status

73 and older is CA smog law. I doubt it will be going up anymore then it is. if anything the highest it will go is 76 from what I was told most everything after 76 had Cat Converters on them so they do not want people removing them if they already got them.

Just what I heard not sure.

9. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The law is exactly as Greg said. Hey Greg, you remembered what I told you I see. Anyway, just because a vehicle is smog exempt you still cannot legally remove the smog equipment that it came with from the factory. Now I know that noone would be the wiser unless you were stopped and checked on it which is what is also starting to happen.

10. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

If you want true duals "The Firehouse" in Sacramento will do just that... but don't expect to pass smog or be legal. Best bet leave you stuff alone. The law is I believe anything 73 and old is exempt. I'm willing to bet at some point this will stop and everyone will be smogged and required smog equipment. Seems how things are heading especially if certain bills get passed that will really hurt us.... /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

11. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

This is why I kept my Federal Rig All I need is Thermastatic air cleaner & PCV. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif No Smog Equip! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    Bill C /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

12. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Ha What is smog ..HE HE HE-Hint the user name...mike /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

He he he.......There are other ways around the smog laws. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif By the way, that are totally legal. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

14. JohnnyFresno

JohnnyFresno 1/2 ton status

Case of beer and some cash usualy works at your local smog shop /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

15. Headbanger

Headbanger 1/2 ton status

I'd like to hear some of them.(BAR REP) Just kidding!!!! I'm a smog tech and I'm curious!! /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

16. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I'm with Bill. My truck was originally from Washington. Whenever I get pissed about the rust on it I just have to remember that the rust came with the lack of smog junk... </font color>