Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Smog help please! CA

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shaggy, Aug 29, 2003.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> So I tried to get the truck smogged today and it failed. The place did a pre-test for me for free, they don't normally but the guy liked the truck so he helped me out. According to him it is going to fail due to the CO at idle. Help me out here! This thing passed smog fine a few years back but it won't now. The truck has barely moved since the last time I smogged it. The readings are worse than the POS wore out 327 that was in the truck when I got it. I am so forking bummed out right now. I have absolutley no desire to work on this son of a bitch anymore. I was hoping that today would be the final thing to do to get it on the road again. If I had money I would have just told the guy to work on it until it passed, but that's not really an option right now.

I did a top end cleaning on it this morning, and I ran 2 bottles of HEET in the tank with 3 gallons of fresh 87 octane gas for the test, since I heard that the methyl alcohol in it will make it run cleaner. So I already did the easy tricks to make it pass.

Idle test -

RPM = 743
    HC = 164ppm
    NO = 49ppm
    CO = 2.53%
    co2 = 12.9%
    O2 = .6%

High RPM test -

RPM = 2168
    HC = 5ppm
    NO = 202ppm
    CO = .04%
    co2 = 13.7%
    O2 = 1.6%

So it's this bad, PLUS he only had the sniffer in one of the tailpipes, so it's actually way worse. Also, the guy said that all out of state vehicles have to go on the treadmill now?! That's news to me, and it would suck balls if it's true. Does anyone know of a good smog place in Milpitas that has someone that might help me out?
    </font>

2. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Im not sure what the requirement is but it sounds like its running a little rich and needs to be leaned out. CO is a sign of incomplete combustion. It can be a result of the erg. If you have older ignition, I would also check to make sure the mechanical/vaccum advance works in the distributor because they affect the spark timing and combustion efficeincy but at idle, that shouldnt be a problem because theres no advance at idle.

You can buy one of those home CO monitors from Walmart for like $40, take a baseline reading at your tailpipe then watch the readings to see if its going down while you adjust things /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Heres a link you can look at for suggestions.

Smog Diagnostic Chart

More Smog Stuff

Yet more smog stuff

3. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Understand that:

H/C - HydroCarbons. (Raw fuel). Typlicaly, ignition related.
    C/O - CarbonMonoxide. (partly-burned fuel). Typlicaly, Air/Fuel adjustment.
    NOX - Nitric Oxcide. (Conversion of something to the other, it's late and I'm tired). Typicaly related to combustion temps, EGR funtion reduses NOX emmissions, bleading exhaust back into the combustion chamber limits max temp and therefore limits NOX emissions. Higher compression ratios raises NOX emissions.
    Co2 - Carbon Dioxcide. (combustion efficientcy). The higher the number the better. TPI systems will reach into the upper 14% ranges, Carbs/TBIs will usualy hit 10-12%.
    O2 -Oxygen (Oxtgen being un-burnt). A diagnostic tool, used with the other readings to detirmin possible faults.

K
    Your idle adjustment is too rich.
    Engine off, air cleaner off:
    - Count the number of turns it takes to lightly seat the idle mixture screw on the right bank. Take note.
    - Count the number of turns it takes to seat the left bank.
    - Is the a differnce ? Average the two numbers and turnthe two Idle/mix screwx out to the new average number.
    - Take a tail pipe reading and adfust as needed.
    On a Q-jet, turning the idle mix screws in, limits fuel.

K - ?

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Excelent links that should be booked marked by those in need.

I should have looked at 'em before replying.

5. thefarside

thefarside 1/2 ton status

You can always use alcohol. Ran like [I love Jeeps] but after a little tuning on the carb it was OK. Passed with flying colors! LOL

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Thanks for the links and advice, guys! Those links have some good info in them, they have been bookmarked... After doing some more research it seems that the low O2 level points at a rich condition at idle, so I'm going to try to take care of that and see what happens.

Twiz, I have an Edelbrock carb so I think the tuning procedure is a little different. but these things are cake to work on so it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Thanks for the rundown on what the different emissions mean though, that is handy.

I've checked the plugs and they're fine, as is the rest of the ignition system. Everything on this motor was new when I put it in 7000 miles ago, the rotor and distributor cap look great, so do the plug wires. PCV checked out fine too and the oil was changed earlier this year, but it's only been run at idle for short times in the garage, once around the block then the long way to the smog place today, so probably less than 10 miles since the change.

Ive also used the stethescope to search for vaccuum leaks around the carb and couldn't find anything.

Thanks for the help, if anyone else has any advice or opinions I'd be grateful. </font>

7. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Another way to check for vacuum leaks is spray some carb cleaner around the manifold areas. You will hear an increase in RPM's if theres a leak. For the Edelbrock the idle mixture screws would be the first place to start, then change the metering rods if necessary to lean it out more. Thats easy!

I dont know what model carb you have but heres the Mixture Charts for the 1406. Probably find more info on Edelbrocks site. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

you mean ether don't you?

9. Dandwg

Dandwg 1/2 ton status

I feel oyur pain about the smog issue!
    My blazer has been parked for a month now to get ready for smog. We been pulling stuff off to put in the originall smog equipment, but everytime we fix one thing, we find something else that needs fixing /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif For instance, I figured while the truck is parked, might as well replace the front brake pads, we discovered the rotor needed to be turned, so, we took it off, well low and behold all of the innerr and outer bearings were shot all to he%l! and the ruined my brand new Warn hubs, SOB. All the little things are slowing down the process of actually "smogging " the truck.

BTW, do you have to take yours to a "Smog test only station" like me, or do you just need a regular smog certificate?
    ..............I am beginnning to hate Cali...

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I can test at any smog place since we still have SMog 1 out here, not the new SMog 2 like you guys in the valley. But then the dude at the smog place told me that since my truck is from out of state it has to go on the dyno, and it won't fit on his dyno, which means I would have to go to the referee... I dunno, I've never heard that before so I don't think I beleive him. I haven't been able to find anything on the DMV site saying anything like that either.</font>

11. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

There is an exemption from the dyno testing for AWD vehicals...just put in some slugs and tell him you have a 203?..dyno problem solved.

I found this a while back...kinda neet if you want to buy a used car but not much good for you.
    http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/vehtests/pubtstqry.aspx

12. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> There's actually also an exemption for vehicles with a non-selectable rear locker, since I'm welded in the rear then that exempts me too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I saw that page a couple days ago, pretty neat stuff. I looked up some of my old cars and found out that they are still somewhere near my house. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif</font>

13. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Good luck on finding a smog tech that will go along with you on the slugs/203 and locker thing.

If your VIN/year doesn't call for fulltime 4wd, then you will be directed to a referee if you do have the fulltime stuff. And believe me, they will check. Been there dont that.

14. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

This whole smog thing is getting worse. I bought a 76 figuring I had a couple of years and it would be grandfathered in. Well, they just passed a new law that takes effect in January 05. Every vehicle 1976 and newer will have to be smogged forever every two years. No more thirty year exemption.

15. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

i know california is much worse but when i lived in delaware they had state run emmisions and i had a 80 Z28 that was running like three times the CO allowed we filled up the tank with a 4:1 ratio of gas to methanol and it passed with no problem

16. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    This whole smog thing is getting worse. I bought a 76 figuring I had a couple of years and it would be grandfathered in. Well, they just passed a new law that takes effect in January 05. Every vehicle 1976 and newer will have to be smogged forever every two years. No more thirty year exemption.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah sucks doesn't it. Thats been passed for a few months now.

17. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

To say the least. What peeves me is, the only reason I went 76 is because I decided I wasn't ever going to take the top off the Blazer so I wanted the rigidity of the cab over design. Easier to keep sealed too. If only they would've gone with the cab over in 75 /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

18. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Good luck on finding a smog tech that will go along with you on the slugs/203 and locker thing.

If your VIN/year doesn't call for fulltime 4wd, then you will be directed to a referee if you do have the fulltime stuff. And believe me, they will check. Been there dont that.

[/ QUOTE ]

My '76 was full-time, ...been part-timed, so will they do a visual to verify NP203? Would that be all they check, it currently has the Warn hubs.. should I replace them with full time hubs for the test??

19. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

If its non disengagable 4wd, then a two speed idle test will be done.

The somg techs arent gonna know what a 203 is or does (well some might, like me).

20. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

I tried to pull the "203" thing a couple of months ago, they were all over it and pointed out the hubs.... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif...BUT they bypassed the dyno because the tires were not safe on it(38.5" tsl) /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Still failed thought due to my headers not being approved by CARB(Cal Air Rescource Board). By the way, if you have not checked out their site, there is a boat load of aftermarket items that have been approved, including headers with year and model designations.

jakeslim