Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SMOG HELP???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by WheelinK5, Aug 7, 2002.

1. WheelinK5

WheelinK5 Registered Member

Ok now that I am in Vegas I am having trouble getting a smog for the K5. Unless someone in Vegas can help me get a smog I am going to have to get all the smog stuff back on. I even have a true dual exhaust with no cats and headers /forums/images/icons/smile.gif but that won't help me now.

First question is will headers with a air tube pass?

Second can I run the dual exhaust with two cats?

Third does a 1985 K5 have a heat riser stock?

Any other suggestions that would help are greatly appreciated.

Mark

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    First question is will headers with a air tube pass?

[/ QUOTE ]

If the AIR tubes and pump are hooked up, it should pass. We are talking visual here right?

Second can I run the dual exhaust with two cats?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats federally illegal. It depends on the inspecting station whether they will ding you for it or not, (some places will see cats and be happy) and I'm not sure if state law would reflect the federal law anyway. (meaning, not sure if they can do anything about dual cats if they work for the state, not the US Gov., and state law doesn't mirror federal law)

Third does a 1985 K5 have a heat riser stock?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Passenger side exhaust manifold. Most GM's since ?? have them, thats why there is a FLAT mating surface on the passenger side exhaust manifold outlet.

My suggestion would be to put AIR back on, (whether it works or not, just make sure its visible and appears functional) get some headers with AIR fittings, and run single 3" pipe into a 3" converter, and do whatever you like after that. AIR costs almost nothing power wise to turn, so besides cleaning up the engine bay immensely, there is no other reason to remove it.

I'm not saying dump the dual cat idea because its illegal, but because you should have NO inspection problems if its single exhaust with single cat, which was all that was offered for a factory gas '85 Blazer in the US.

3. WheelinK5

WheelinK5 Registered Member

Thank you for the reply! What do I do about the missing heat riser with the headers? Ideas?

4. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Hmm, no catalytic convertor and dual exhaust, no EFE, no evap canister, no EGR, no AIR, mild performance cam, and 16 degrees BTDC initial timing. Wow, I bet the state of California would love me. The only thing I've got is PCV and manifold heated air. Thank God I live in Iowa. Around here, tractors on the highway and on mainstreet in small towns is a common occurence.

5. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

They sell a kit to put a heat riser on the pass.side header
    i think it's headmand or hooker or...not sure about the compagny but they make it for sure!!

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Any "smog legal" header for an '85 K5 will have the mounting setup for the EFE (heat riser) as well as the AIR tubes, so that's what my answer would be, if your's have eliminated that valve entirely.

If someone else makes a kit for EFE install as has been mentioned, that would be worth looking into as well, but if you have to add AIR injection bungs to the headers to make them legal, you may as well just buy new headers I bet.