Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

smog inspection

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tunedportk5, May 9, 2005.

1. tunedportk5

tunedportk5 1/2 ton status

I finally called and made an appointment for my smog check at the refree station, and its at Wyotech in Fremont. I hope it passes. :D I got rid of of the one wire o2 sensor for a heated three wire o2 and it works perfect now.

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Post up with the results. We would all like to see what happened. :thumb:

3. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

Was it not working before the three wire O2 sensor?

4. tunedportk5

when I installed the tpi I put the o2 rite under the exhaust manifold flang and I kept get a lean reading code from the computer, so I connected a volt meter and was alway around .050 and.250 volt range, now with the heated one it's between .200 and .600 volts and no more check engine light.

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

You put all the crap off the TPI car, on your blazer? EGR, EVAP, ect.? Good luck.

6. tunedportk5

Yea I got it all. does anyone know what the timing is. I had a picture of the label and now I can't find it to see what the timing was, does anyone know it was a 89 T/A 350 vin was 8 :confused:

7. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Yeah no kidding, i would like to see a big fat write-up done too , ive been wondering what happened to this. :thumb:

8. tunedportk5

Yea I'm finally taking it, it'll be nice to drive around without expired tags

9. Dandwg

Dandwg 1/2 ton status

Good luck! I hope it passes. I had a heck of a time trying to get mine to pass last year (year late, due again soon). Keep us posted.

10. tunedportk5

Well it didn't pass :( I got there around 11 and I had to wait 15 minutes until break was over and they had me pull the truck up and got my name and a little info about the truck and had me go to the waiting room for and hour about 30 minutes well they did what ever the teacher and student do and then he told me it failed, but it's not to bad all I have to do is change a pvc hose that is currently a piece of heater hose and put the timing back to 6 where it was last night before I changed it to 0, and finally the the CO reading on both the 15 and 25 mph test failed the max allowed at 15 was .62 and it measured 1.74 and at 25 max allowed is .81 and it measured 1.54 and it all might be caused by me raising the fuel pressure or maybe the timing be at hopefully. So I'm going to fix those things and make another appointment. The test was $30 dollars and the retest is going to be free and hopefully they don't stick me in a room forever watching divorce court

11. 4X4HIGH

When you do go back for a retest maybe you could ask them a question for me. I have an 89 blazer and want to install a TPI set-up on it and currently from the factory there is no smog pump. I want to know if when i install a TPI from a camaro if they are going to make me install a smog pump since the camaros all had them even though i'm not changing motors but only updating the fuel induction system.

12. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Man I'm glad I don't live in commiefornia cause of their smog testing.

13. tunedportk5

I'm going to try for Friday and I'll ask them that queston, but it seems to me that there being pretty strict on the hole smog thing, max for HC allowed is only 113 at 15 mph and 93 for 25 mph, that seems to be a lot lower than what I was expecting it to be but it did pass that part.

14. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

DAYUM!!!!! Ive been following your deal with the tbi,,,, the whole time, im wishing you luck on the whole deal for friday. I want to see how it can be done. Sounds like a bunch of little stuff to me. Sometimes all the little stuff adds up to be one big PITA ,,good luck man, cheers :)

15. K5MONSTERCHEV

Dont you need to get a BAR label? You cant just get it smogged.

Oh and Scott, whatever the year the TPI is (89-up), you have to put everything from the Camaro on your Blazer, it would be basically like an Engine Change. If the Emissions Lable says it has AIR, then you would need to put one on.

16. 4X4HIGH

So even though i'm not doing an engine swap but rather only the induction they will make me install an AIR system also? If that's the case then screw it, i will just install the edlebrock MPFI system that doesn't require me to install an AIR system. That would be stupid though that i could install an aftermarket induction system and not have to add AIR but if i go with a factory induction system i would have to add AIR. :confused:

17. tunedportk5

Well I hope to get to both in one shot, the label and smog

18. scubahard

scubahard Registered Member

Good Luck!

I live in California and I had to go to the Referee about 5 times before I got my smog certificate!

19. K5MONSTERCHEV

Yeah it does kind of suck. For you the Edelbrock would be better because you wouldnt need to put all the other junk on. If you think about it, you are just taking the whole induction setup, but whats left? Basically your truck is the same as the camaro, the bottom end isnt going to affect the emissions, its going to be all the PCV, AIR, EGR, EVAP, O2S, and whatever else is on the camaro that effects the emissions. Does that make sense because Im having trouble tryping whats im trying to say.

20. RustyMule

RustyMule Registered Member

Just do what I did - LEAVE THE STATE. hehee Good luck anyway.